Food and drink in the work area! (IPA + ethanol + methanol)!

graham-xrf

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Yup - amazing how easily it happened.
I would not have believed how large a swig of surgical spirit can make it past the throat after absent-mindedly reaching for the bottle of orange juice cordial. Pretty much similar top plastic bottle right beside me while measuring a lathe bed. Surgical spirit is a version of de-natured alcohol that has similarities to what is known as "rubbing alcohol" in USA, but it is not just IPA and water.

Sunday 23rd Feb. I spent the late afternoon and several hours of evening in a NHS hospital A&E while they checked out how well I was metabolizing a mix of isopropanol (IPA), ethanol, and maybe up to 4% methanol as 75% to 90% alcohols with the remaining as water. Mine was the 89% variety. So ..

1) It burns - all the way down!

2) Even you open the mouth, and let spill what you can, and try washing out with real orange juice, the throat will remember!

3) To get a breath, the vapors in the mouth go straight into the lungs, and then straight into the blood, and a minute later, are into the brain. At least - it seems that way. Taking it via the lungs seems way faster than via the stomach!

4) A mix of panic, perhaps some psychologically induced symptoms, but you feel real sick, and madly light-headed, and the heat feeling in the stomach comes on, and you get some pangs each side in the tummy. One is still functional, and can have the coherent conversation on 111 (the NHS first call line), despite noticing that the perceptions are maybe like 4 double shots of JB in about 20 seconds. More ickky tummy!

5) The instant you mention the methanol on the phone, the advice gets real urgent. Get to the hospital!

6) Checking on the internet for symptoms is not the way to be feeling better. Only to be better informed. You know you just drank a guessed at number of mL of poison! For methanol according to internet, it seems to be blindness, insanity, and death in roughly that order. You find out on the net that propan-2-ol is absorbed 2 to 3 times faster than ethanol, and you can tell this is true!

7) At the hospital, we discover that the right antidote to trigger the right emzyme to deal with the IPA is unbelievably.. more ethanol, but only in extremes. For me, it was wait it out under observation through a period of crazy intoxication without any good feeling to go with it, and a sort of "hangover" that had characteristics of it's own, and thankfully not like the regular kind.

8) Then after 5 hours, a blood test - to confirm that despite my stupid efforts, I had not succeeded in poisoning myself.

I find it hard to believe anyone would deliberately drink stuff like this, but was told some do. I got it in the neck from my wife also, having blighted the whole day. I think I may still take the mug of hot coffee in there sometimes - but no plastic bottles!

Well that is not pleasant! Good to hear you are ok. Back in trade school a guy did the same thing with lacquer thinners. Wasn’t pleasant for him either.
cheers
martin

Crikey. Glad you are ok.

You must be living right to survive something like that. I've pulled such shenanigans in my younger days, when I was healthier and more able to metabolize "non food items". Now-a-days I have an unspoken rule against any food in the shop. The kitchen is for eating, the shop is for making. Never the twain shall meet.

i don't usually eat in the shop, but i do drink soda and tea in drinking vessels that couldn't be confused with other shop fluids.

i'm sorry to hear you drank the bad KOOL AID, @graham-xrf - but i'm happy that you lived to tell the tale

Wow! Terrible. Any idea how much methanol you got? I just read that as little as 10 ml can cause blindness. Glad you are OK.
Robert

Wow! Terrible. Any idea how much methanol you got? I just read that as little as 10 ml can cause blindness. Glad you are OK.
Robert
@rwm : Oh man - it was hard to tell. A good couple of really big thirsty-style swallows, the second being a bit inadvertent, because by then I was spluttering. The docs estimate from minimal up to about 12mL, of which about 89% would be alcohols, and of that, about 4% was methanol. They did say the amount was probably below what is known as the "reference dose". I got lucky-this time!

Reading about what happens to methanol in the blood is a horror story! Basically it turns into formaldehyde (think "embalming fluid", on the way to becoming formic acid (yeah - killer ants stuff) via aldehyde dehydrogenase (what)?

I am not a regular drinker. About 2.5 shots puts me somewhat past steady, and I will seek to sleep. I have never tried moonshine of any kind except once dipping the finger in some Irish potcheen and having a lick. How people react depends on their constitution. I am not in the league of Mike the Durable [1], a speakeasy owner who withstood several attempts to kill him by alcohol poisoning.

The other angle to this, not mentioned so far, is .. I cannot imagine going up to a machine like a lathe having put a drink in!

[1] Ref: Michael Malloy --> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Malloy

Sorry to hear that Graham.
I snack and drink in the shop everyday I am in there. There is no way to confuse my Monster or Mt. Dew for a chemical I should not ingest.

I guess this is why our safety person made us remove ALL un-labeled bottles/containers from our shop area . You think they're crazy but I can see why it's necessary to do so .

Back