[Source] For slitting saws

Desolus

Registered
Registered
I'm looking for a nice, well made, slitting saw (brand) for use with my sherline mill. I will probably only be using it on mild steel, brass and aluminum, but given the ammount of stainless I have that's a possibility.

After googling I found alot of $300 saws and that's just not ok as far as I'm concerned...

I'll probably be making my own holder, probably also with way way more mass behind it than other holders just like the thread mill insert holder that I also made.

Look at brownells, mcmaster

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

They come in different diameters. Mine are called jewelers slotting saws. I use them for making clock parts. The ones I got are 1" diameter and they come in various thicknesses. I purchased a few different thicknesses and stack them to get odd ball widths.

From KAR were about $10 cdn when I purchased them.
http://kar.ca/pdf/catalog_page/Kar_Catalog_Page_259.pdf

David

I use Thurston and Martindale saws. They are equally good but equally expensive. Best bet is to find them on ebay.

Most slitting saws are thin and sometimes you need a thicker slot. You can stack two blades to get the kerf you need if the holder is designed well. Take a look at the Sierra American holder and make yours similarly. The fit of the blade must be very tight to I would buy a blade first and machine the holder accordingly.

I use Thurston and Martindale saws. They are equally good but equally expensive. Best bet is to find them on ebay.

Most slitting saws are thin and sometimes you need a thicker slot. You can stack two blades to get the kerf you need if the holder is designed well. Take a look at the Sierra American holder and make yours similarly. The fit of the blade must be very tight to I would buy a blade first and machine the holder accordingly.
that's actually almost identical to the design I had thought of.

Buy as many low cost tools as needed to get the job done, buying 10 $10.00 tools is cheaper then buying 1 $150.00 tool, choose wisely grashopper.

I'm looking for a nice, well made, slitting saw (brand) for use with my sherline mill. I will probably only be using it on mild steel, brass and aluminum, but given the ammount of stainless I have that's a possibility.

After googling I found alot of $300 saws and that's just not ok as far as I'm concerned...

I'll probably be making my own holder, probably also with way way more mass behind it than other holders just like the thread mill insert holder that I also made.

Check Little Machine Shop. Saw blades at about $10 each. Not bad quality.
Lower end industrial saws in Canada are about $30-40.
So far the blades from LMS have been OK given an in-shop sharpener.
Jim

Last edited:
I know this may be a sacrilege of sorts, but I just got some small cheap ones at Harbor Freight, small diameter, thin, but they worked well for some slots I needed and that my larger slitting saws were too thick to do -- Jack

Back