For Those Forced To Use A Drill Press For Milling

Matt....that's what I have been doing for 6yrs so far. It is better than a file and if care is taken can be done somewhat safely. But as you stated even a minimill would be better.

Just finished making a frame for a tool I am making out of 1/2" aluminum plate side milling with a 10 mm two flute end mill on my converted drill press. Not a perfect finish, but a lot better than a file. I rough cut it out with the band saw first. (Black & Decker drill powered band saw at that ). Finished all the edges square with the end mill.

side milling inside profile.jpg frame.jpg

Matt your finish looks pretty much like mine. Nice going. Some times we have to do what we have to do with the resources we have to enjoy our hobby.

David

yup, not great, but it'll do! I'll try and avoid cutting steel as much as possible though, it's really tough to do - I had a problem with the cutter pulling out of the collet which I've never had before cutting alu. Still, all good things to learn :D

Matthemuppet;
I'd like to make a JT33 collet chuck for my 15" Walker Turner, similar to what you've described. Can you post a few pics of your setup? I too have done extremely light milling on my 10" Craftsman DP and an XY table, taking very light cuts and going slow. A lot of racket, but in a pinch it will work until a proper mill can be obtained; thanks in advance!

sure!

IMG_3238.JPG IMG_3244.JPG IMG_3245.JPG IMG_3279.JPG IMG_3286.JPG IMG_3287.JPG IMG_3288.JPG IMG_3289.JPG IMG_3292.JPG

If I were to do one from scratch I'd probably go with an ER11 set up, as ER collets have way more range than the ones I made for this. You'd need to machine the JT33 taper, the ER (16deg total) taper, threads for the ER nut and threads for the spindle nut. File or grind a couple of flats on the chuck for a spanner, but an ER11 spanner and a set of collets and you're good to go :) be great for drilling too, especially small holes.

Although I'm very happy to have some milling capacity, every time I do so (especially with steel) I am reminded by how much I really want a proper mill :) Even a Sieg X2 or 3 would be awesome..

The pics are awesome! Thanks a lot; your setup and suggestions are just what I need to consider...many thanks!

you're welcome :) Another idea - if you can pin another ring below the spindle ring then unscrewing the spindle ring will push the chuck off the taper. At present I use (carefully) a screwdriver to pop it off.

I have a lot of respect for folks who can make things happen with minimum equipment and dollars. I've spent the better part of my life getting to where I have the disposable income to purchase some fairly nice toys, and even now I'm generally looking for good deals on used stuff. For a long time I had to make do with what I had and make what I needed and couldn't afford to buy. I think that kind of path teaches us to think on our feet and in the end makes us more creative and well rounded human beings. Not saying we should throw safety and caution out the window, but with out a little calculated risk and original thinking where would we be as a country, or for that matter as a species. Mike

Back