For those who think all PM owners keep pristine equipment

I did think that. Bummer. I guess I'll have to clean my own lathe.

Clean my lathe? Forget it, I'm not going to photograph it, and no one else sees it.

Mine's never pristine looking any more either, but everybody that sees it, including some of the guys who do machine work, is still plenty impressed with it. Set up a lot like Alan's with the baking pan & a trash can on the left. Have a large shop vac between the lathe & mill too for all those chips that make it to the floor. Seems that way more swarf ends up on the floor or piled against the backsplash, than ever makes it into the pull out tray under the lathe itself. Wonder why that is ................???
Mark

Although mine gets messy from work, I can't seem to go in the house and relax until they are cleaned, really the whole shop needs to be clean before I can relax. Not one of my better traits as it gets frustrating.

This is probably about the worst my mill has been and the other picture is about 30-minutes later after cleaning it and the shop.

Mike.

mill.jpg

mill1.jpg

What Bill failed to show everyone is what the Lathe looked like an hour later...my guess it was show room clean;)

OK, lets not give away all of my secrets...LOL.

I typically clean up the machines after I am done with all the major machining for a project. I just have a problem with leaving chips/oil/dirt hanging around where it can fall or otherwise get into places and cause accelerated wear. I will never be able to replace these machines (lathe, mill), so I need to take care of them the best I can.

My grandfather on my dad's side once told me that you could judge a man by the condition of his tools. Maybe some of that rubbed off on me? ;)

Last edited:
I must not have gotten the self cleaning option with my machine:cool:. To think I keep cleaning mine the old fashioned way... think I may have to talk to Matt about this.
Why did he pick white!!?!! It looks cool all cleaned up... but, jeez

My grandfather on my dad's side once told me that you could judge a man by the condition of his tools. Maybe some of that rubbed off on me? ;)

I believe that, or at least it speaks about the quality of the work he can produce. I'm not sure if paint condition is part of that though:encourage:

Rich

I must not have gotten the self cleaning option with my machine:cool:. To think I keep cleaning mine the old fashioned way... think I may have to talk to Matt about this.
Why did he pick white!!?!! It looks cool all cleaned up... but, jeez

Prior to my 935, I had a Charter Oak 9x40. And it was black. Loved the look.

But I am NOT going to tear apart my lathe and mill to paint them black, even though I do like the idea. :)

EDIT: Oh, and the condition of the paint on my lathe is going downhill fast... :(

Huh.... I looked at the picture and thought you were showing off how clean it is. You mean you call that dirty?

LOL: Clean Machine? NOT! Here's old faithful. Pretty sure I bought it in 2012 and it's seen nearly continuous, daily use for the last 6 years. Still rock solid and all I dois oil the ways and give it a half-decent cleaning every few weeks. Take that back... The 2 drive belts wore out and had to be replaced. I turned a shaft the other day that was spec'd for 1.250" +0.000, -0.001. Material was 1045 with starting diameter at 1.5". Nailed the final diameter at 1.2497 at the two critical race ways.

It ain't pretty but it can cut! I think I might paint it a different color some day. That eggshell white always looks dirty/grimy.

Ray C.

IMG_20171217_122337.jpg

Back