Ford 300 inline six cylinder engine

Hi Vavet,
Yes the engine will run. It has spark plugs and an electronic ignition. I use pump gas, 86 octane for fuel. It is liquid cooled and splash oiled.

Here's today's update on pieces.
With all the major components built I started on the bolt on pieces, distributor, which works, fuel pump, oil filter, alternator and starter. Although these last parts don't work they have been added to this engine to make it look like the full sized engine. They could be left off but the intent was to make somewhat of a replica engine that runs.
gbritnell

IMG_1064.JPG IMG_1069.JPG IMG_1072.JPG IMG_1075.JPG IMG_1078.JPG IMG_1185.JPG IMG_1188.JPG IMG_1191.JPG IMG_1194.JPG IMG_1197.JPG IMG_1200.JPG IMG_1206.JPG

It is awesome seeing what a master of his craft can accomplish.
I wish I could watch you in the workshop.
Many thanks for showing this.

Here's some photos of the water pump. I machined the pump body to use a stacked ball bearing at the nose but for the present time I'm going to use a bronze plain bearing. As you can see I have made provision for an O ring to seal the shaft. The body is aluminum, the shaft is stainless steel and the impeller is bronze.
gbritnell

IMG_1151.JPG IMG_1154.JPG IMG_1155.JPG IMG_1158.JPG IMG_1169.JPG IMG_1175.JPG IMG_1176.JPG

Wow Bravo!!! this is just stunning !!after seeing this I'm not sure if I ever post any of my projects they just look like child play compere to yours masterpiece I wish I could find a person with your talents around here and so he could become my mentor I have so much to learn in this is not funny anyway I want to see a Youtube of this engine run

Thanks for sharing this project

Paul

The final pieces to the engine are the carburetor, air filter housing and motor mounts. The carburetor is based on the model airplane, air bleed type. After much experimentation over the years with different types of carbs I have settled on this design for simplicity of manufacture and relatively easy adjustability. Along the way on this build things have been tweaked and modified, all the while keeping up with the drawings. I do have a few things yet to complete like putting keyways into the crankshaft, making gaskets and spark plug boots and wires. I hope to try and start it by the end of March.
I'll keep everyone updated.
gbritnell

IMG_1627.JPG IMG_1630.JPG IMG_1645.JPG IMG_1646.JPG IMG_1649.JPG IMG_1657.JPG IMG_1675.JPG IMG_1678.JPG IMG_1679.JPG IMG_1684.JPG

Absolutely brilliant!!
Couple of questions, are those front engine mounts indicative of the real thing? Theyre really beefy, in a good way tho.
And did you make the spark plugs as well?
What starting method will you use to fire it up?
Please put up a video of it running when you get done

Cheers Phil

" an Enco round column mill and used it for the vast majority of my work."

In case you skimmed over this comment casually thrown in by George, read it again -- "a round column mill"

I have read and followed many of Georges projects prior to this one and they were all done on the often reviled round column mill, so next time you are thinking of bad mouthing that lowly design, think of Georges magnificent creations...

You rock George!

Hi Phil,
No those motor mounts aren't a copy of the real thing. The bosses on the block are but the mounts are made to stabilize the engine for operation.
Yes I made the plugs. The thread is 8-36. They had to be smaller to get in between the push rod bosses.
The shells of the plugs were turned and threaded then put into my dividing head to machine the hex. From there they were mounted in a threaded bushing to cut the material away from the extension on the end of the threaded portion.
The extra prong was filed off and the other was heated and bent to form the ground strap. The insulators are made from Corian. This is a temperature resistant material used for making counter tops. They were turned and drilled for a .03 center electrode. The insulators were then inserted into the shells and the flange was crimped over to hold the insulator in place. The brass top was soldered onto the center wired and this was set in place with high temperature Loctite adhesive.
If you'll note in one of the pictures of the flywheel you'll see a boss on the rear. There will be a one-way bearing pressed in. I use a battery operated drill with a hardened dowel inserted into the one-way bearing to turn the engine over.

You can see from this video link how I start my 302 V-8 engine. I will use the same thing for this engine.
http://youtu.be/fRVYYtdhG_8

IMG_1524.JPG IMG_1555.JPG IMG_1557.JPG IMG_1563.JPG IMG_1565.JPG IMG_1569.JPG IMG_1572.JPG IMG_1618.JPG IMG_1619.JPG IMG_1623.JPG

All I can say is WOW! I am absolutely delighted to be able to simply locate the switch to turn on my lathe. There are incredible people roaming the machining world--HE is ONE.

Back