Ford 300 inline six cylinder engine

With the silver soldering complete it was time to start benching, or better explained as burring, stoning, filing and polishing. All the edges needed radii, the flanges need angles and radii and the ribbing needed the corners rounded.
For such a simple looking piece there was a great amount of time and work in it. A couple of the pictures show just some of the metal that was burred and filed from the manifold.
gbritnell

IMG_0676.JPG IMG_0679.JPG IMG_0682.JPG IMG_0685.JPG IMG_0690.JPG IMG_0691.JPG IMG_0697.JPG IMG_0700.JPG IMG_0714.JPG IMG_0716.JPG IMG_0718.JPG IMG_0721.JPG IMG_0724.JPG IMG_0727.JPG IMG_0731.JPG IMG_0736.JPG

Ok, I know this is a scale project, and I was plenty impressed already, but that last picture with the quarter for scale just blew my mind. There's no hint from the other pictures (yes, I know you mention sizes in the text) that make you think it's that small. Amazing work.

Only one way to describe work like this. AMAZING

The next pieces were the rocker cover, oil pan, tappet cover and bellhousing. These were all made from 6061 aluminum. All of these were machined from solid blocks using manual machines, no CNC.
gbritnell

- - - Updated - - -

Here's some finish pictures of the bellhousing.
gbritnell

IMG_0518.JPG IMG_0521.JPG IMG_0525.JPG IMG_0527.JPG IMG_0755.JPG IMG_0757.JPG IMG_0761.JPG IMG_0763.JPG IMG_0766.JPG IMG_0769.JPG IMG_0773.JPG IMG_0777.JPG IMG_0781.JPG BELL FINISH 1.JPG BELL FINISH 2.JPG BELL FINISH 3.JPG BELL FINISH 4.JPG

Please forgive my saying so, but this thread is terribly tragic to see. Your skill and the project are phenomenal. I just can't escape the thought that much time and talent is going in to something (forgive me for saying so) so trivial.

I realize that it has practical value in testing skills and developing new techniques/workarounds, but I can't escape the feeling that it's like putting a skilled neurosurgeon at the end of the Hasbro line testing "Operation," playsets for Q.C..

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Pitchfire,
No offense taken. It probably would help to know a little of my background and that would better explain my passion. I'll make this as short as possible.
I'm 69 years old.
I grew up in what I consider the heyday of cars and hot rods, late 50's through the early 70's. I drag raced and worked on cars and engines so I have a pretty extensive if not outdated by today's standards of engine design.
I have always been interested in model building starting off with plastic and continuing to the present.
After getting out of the Army in the late 60's I started an apprenticeship with the Ford Motor Co. as a metal patternmaker. Upon completion I worked in the shop until being transferred to the pattern design area designing and drawing patterns and coreboxes.
For the last 10 years at Ford I became a CAD modeler and cutter path creator.
I got my first lathe at 16 although I had no idea how to use it.
In the early 70's I bought an Enco round column mill and used it for the vast majority of my work. I only upgraded my mill in the last couple of years. All of my work is machined by hand, no CNC.
Now to the bottom line.
Although there is no practical use for what I build it is my hobby and like I said earlier my passion. Combining my knowledge of engines, my trade skills, my design background I create things, engines, transmissions, rifles and parts for all the people in my neighborhood when their lawnmowers quit working.
I hope this gives you a little more insight into what I do?
gbritnell

My hat is off to you. This is amazing work.

Just to clarify...all of the pieces you've made have started as solid blocks and you've machined away everything that was not needed?

I had a 300 L6 in my 95 F150 and did a lot of work on it over the years so you're bringing back some memories for me.

I can't even find time to wash my car - and you can make a scale replica of an IC engine.

Please pardon my ignorance. Will this engine run when you are finished? I assume it will at least be able to rotate, but I'm wondering if it will have an operational fuel delivery and ignition system.

Back