Ford 300 inline six cylinder engine

Moving the boss, something that I shudder to think about and you mange to make it look seamless, terrific. Really enjoying watching your progress on this project.

Wow, great job. I always liked that motor, I hot-rodded a Chevy 250 inline 6 back in the day, and had a lot of fun with it, but the ford was bigger and has a much better cylinder head design, but I didn't have a ford car to put one in. I read somewhere that there was a guy racing them that would cut two 351C heads off and weld them together to run on a 300 6. Fun stuff.

Best F150 engine ever. You could really pack the miles on those. Shame they quit making them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Best F150 engine ever. You could really pack the miles on those. Shame they quit making them.

The only real problem they had is that they were really bad about wearing the front cylinder WAY more than the others. I worked in an automotive machine shop for 5 years right after I got out of high school, and saw many of these come through the shop. Many were worn so badly on the front cylinder that they had to be bored .060 from standard. I even saw a couple that had to be sleeved. The Chevrolets had the same problem, just not as severe. I think it was caused by the location of the water pump, which would have caused temperature variations on that the front cylinder. But I agree, they were a good truck motor. I lived in rice country, and they used these and the Chevrolet 292 6 cylinders extensively for ag irrigation pumps. We put hardened seats and valves in them, and they ran them on propane. They usually lasted 3 seasons or so, then they would come back for a rebuild on the heads. They were as clean after 3 years as the day they were put together, propane doesn't sludge them up like gasoline did. Ah, fun times...

My first car was a '76 Granada. Stop laughing. With a 250 straight six. Think I sold it running with 250k on it. Back in 1986. Slow, but got me everywhere. Trunk fit a lot of beer. Good times.

Gbritnell,
Hows it comming? You know, once you get it done, you will need to build a scale F100 to put it in :).

The engine is finished as far as machining goes. After the patch was complete the engine was cleaned and reassemble, spark plug wires were made, oil put in and timing set for a trial run and that's when the Ohio weather took a turn for the worse. I just didn't feel like going out into the cold garage to try and start it. Today's weather is much better and the weekend looks very promising so I think Saturday will be the day for the test run. I'll keep everyone posted.
In the mean time here's some pictures of the finished engine.
gbritnell

IMG_1993.JPG IMG_1994.JPG IMG_1997.JPG IMG_2000.JPG IMG_2003.JPG IMG_2006.JPG IMG_2011.JPG IMG_2012.JPG IMG_2015.JPG IMG_2018.JPG IMG_2021.JPG IMG_2024.JPG

Are you going to take it to NAMES? I'd like to see it run.

I'll be at NAMES with the engine running or not. The plan is to get out in the garage today and tomorrow to fire it up and fine tune it. As has been my experiences in the past once you get to this point almost anything can happen. My biggest concern is the small spark plugs running on gas but then Steve Huck used them in his V-8 with no trouble.
Thanks to everyone for following along.
gbritnell

This is indeed a masterpiece. I can't wait to hear it run.

Thanks for the excellent build thread.

Cheers,

Tom

Back