[4]

Ford 3000 Restoration

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

macrnr

Active User
Registered
I have begun bringing my old tractor back to life. I just completed building a new radiator grill. The tractor was banged up in the front and the existing grill was missing, so I made a new one. I used 1/8 aircraft grade aluminum that I had laying around, and I had my buddy at the sheet metal shop bend the corners. I ran it around for 1/2 an hour and no overheating issues so I am confident it is getting enough air, not stock but fully functional. I changed the valve cover gasket last week and while cleaning the old oil off of the block I messed up a wire from the generator and now the battery isn't charging. Tomorrow I am replacing the oil seal on the PTO, and that will be the end of the major problems. After I fix the wire, she should be good to go.........

IMG_3011.JPG IMG_3012.JPG IMG_3013.JPG

November X-ray

Active User
Registered
Is that tractor diesel powered? If so, are you considering changing the exhaust back to a more traditional looking stack?

macrnr

Active User
Registered
Is that tractor diesel powered? If so, are you considering changing the exhaust back to a more traditional looking stack?
It is a 3 cylinder gas engine. The exhaust system is kinda of scary when getting out of the tractor. They butchered the tins when they modified the exhaust, so it would be a patch job. We'll see.........

November X-ray

Active User
Registered
It is a 3 cylinder gas engine. The exhaust system is kinda of scary when getting out of the tractor. They butchered the tins when they modified the exhaust, so it would be a patch job. We'll see.........
Would it be possible to flip the exhaust manifold so the port is at the bottom? I seem to remember some Ford tractors had both top and bottom openings cast in the manifolds and used a heavy cover plate over the one and exhaust thru the other.

Good Luck!

jocat54

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Why not just the muffler out the top with a rain flapper on it? My old 71 2000 3 cyl diesel has been that way from the start and haven't had any water problems.

macrnr

Active User
Registered
Why not just the muffler out the top with a rain flapper on it? My old 71 2000 3 cyl diesel has been that way from the start and haven't had any water problems.
I probably will. The first order of business is to fix all of the problems. I changed out the oil seal on the PTO shaft today so that takes care of all the oil leaks. I think the last thing to do will be rewire the whole thing. The more I look the worse it looks. All in all, I am pretty happy with this tractor. Very basic machine, less stuff to break. I don't care for the Holley updraft carburetor, it seems prone to flooding? I've not heard much good about them.

Last edited:

macrnr

Active User
Registered
SUCCESS!!
It runs like a champ, starts, stops, hydraulics work and no leaks. I ended up taking the gas tank off and cleaning the entire fuel system, and that did the trick. There was a lot of rust in the fuel tank. That is a major operation, involving the removal of the steering wheel, dash board and all of the tins. Nice little tractor! :))

[5] [7]