Ford 302 V-8 engine (1/3 scale)

gbritnell

Active User
Registered
Gentlemen,
I would like to present to you the ongoing project that I'm involved with.
In the 70's while working for Ford Motor as a metal patternmaker I started to build a 3/10 scale 302 Ford v-8 engine. There was talk about discontinuing the engine and I thought that while information for it was still available I would start the project not knowing if or when it would ever get finished. I had already built a multi-cylinder I.C. engine so I had some knowledge of what was needed as far as design and machining.
Being as it was in the 70's there weren't any of today's wonderful digital cameras to document the build. I did take some film pictures and though the years with tear downs and such I have taken other pictures to show some of the detail.
Over the years when I would attend model engineering and antique engine shows I would inevitably be asked "when are you going to build the rest of the car?" I never gave it much thought until a few years ago when my winter project became a Borg-Warner T-5 transmission, also in 1/3 scale. This winter's project is the modeling of a fully functional Ford 9" differential. I hope that sometime in the future I will be able to tie them all together on a frame with full suspension etc.
So to begin I will start with the original creation, the 302 engine.
It has a bore and stroke of 1.00x.900. The block and some of the peripherals are machined from 6061 aluminum. The block was machined to form the water jackets and a head plate was bolted on to form the closed cavity. The block was then bored to accept cast iron liners. The engine has a full pressure oil system provided by a geared pump driven from the distributor shaft. The cooling system is through the block, heads and intake manifold which then returns to the radiator. Although many types of carburetion were tried over the years the one that seems to work the best is an air-bleed type modeled from an RC engine. The ignition is a Hall triggered electronic unit and will allow the engine to rev to an honest 7,800 rpm.
The crank and heads are iron, the cam is steel, the rods are bronze. The intake manifold was made in 2 pieces from brass so that the runners and cooling passages could be machined and then silver soldered together. The valves are stainless steel and are operated by roller rocker arms.
gbritnell

302 FORD CROP 1.jpg 302 FORD CROP 7.jpg 302 FORD CROP 4.jpg 302 FORD CROP 5.jpg 302 FORD CROP 6.jpg

These 2 pictures show some of the internal shape and parts from the top end and crankcase area.
gbritnell

IMG_0067.JPG IMG_0061.JPG

These 2 photos show the intake manifold, bottom side, and the top side with the carb installed.
gbritnell

IMG_7220.JPG IMG_0045.JPG

Wow!
That's about all I can say. Has to be a labor of love. Keep the pics a coming
Great work
Dan

Master of unfinished projects

These final pictures show the finished engine from various angles. The last picture was with the original distributor that was later changed to the Hall type. The picture is included to give a size reference with the set of micrometers.
gbritnell

302 v8 1.jpg 302 NEW 1.JPG 302 NEW 2.JPG 302 NEW 3.JPG

The following link is to a video that a fellow took at a local antique engine show. Although I have taken several myself I don't have one this good. It's hard to run the engine and take a video at the same time.
http://youtu.be/fRVYYtdhG_8
In the future I will post build segments from the T-5 transmission and ultimately the differential that I am currently working on.
gbritnell

Very nice!! I was reading your threads on smok stak and was thinking about posting them here. You do awesome work!!!! Please keep the pictures coming!!! Also you have to post some pictures of the rear end I do believe you built!!

Thanks,
Chris

Very nice. How much time was involved? ------ "Billy G"

Hi Bill,
Although I didn't document the time it took a little over 3 years. I'm thinking in the neighborhood of 2500 hours. The hour total included measuring, scaling and drawing, and that's not including all the experimentation with carbs and ignitions.
A little information on the ignition. Having built a 4 cylinder I.C. engine previously that had a set of points to trigger the ignition system I figured the same would work for the 302. The one thing I didn't take into account was that in keeping the distributor somewhat to scale size and using points I couldn't get enough lift from the flats on the point cam to have it work properly. The engine would start and run but the rpm was very limited. The engine was polished and sat for many years due to the frustration of the poor ignition. When some of the fellows in the hobby developed a way of using the small Hall triggers I redesigned the distributor and the rest as they say is history.
gbritnell

Thank you, now I don't feel so tired looking at another 12 to 14 hundred hours still to go on my radial build.. You did s fantastic job on the 302. ------ "Billy G"

Back