Ford 4.6 Fuel Filter

racecar builder

Registered
Registered
hot rodders

my sort of buddy a couple miles from me has above ground lift.

i can take fuel filter off and put new one on with real hose clamps right?

i have yet to get under car and look at it but

i've heard it's in a 'cage'.

plus Fram filter has 'single use' nylon tie type clamps.

i can just quick change it and then sort it out later on lift right?

Have A Nice Day!

Need year, make and body style to determine that, Bob. Some, if not most, use a quick release fitting rather than the standard old worm type hose clamp.

tony

'99 lincoln towncar

point is i don't want to spend a lot of time under car.

i think cage will be held on by bolt into frame so

i'll just undo it.

then hook up new filter and take it down to lift.

Have A Nice Day!

Fuel pressure has a tendency to blow off hoses thus the reason for the special fitting. Best to do it right and use the factory approved part and repair on this application. I have always beena firm believer in keeping things simple, but not this time.
Bob

hot rodders

somebody has to explain to me how these little white nylon clips

hold the hose on better that steel hose clamps.

i have not seen this 'high fuel pressure' of fuel injection system in action.

i pressed on 'fuel pressure relief valve' and there wasn't any pressure!:)

i do get it that it's higher pressure than old mechanical fuel pump.

Have A Nice Day!

You can get a set of the release tools for a couple bucks. And they are much faster to change than worm clamps.
Took me all of 2 minutes to change the filter on my 99 F150. Make sure you relive the pressure be fore you disconnect it. Pressure can be as high as 50 psi

Oh and you probably won't need the plastic clips. I didn't.

Last edited:
A few of them have as much as 75 to 80 PSI. That plastic is just to keep it on as it clips behind a metal flange to keep it from blowing off, and believe me it can blow off if you do not get them on correctly. Ask me how I know. It is no fun laying on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere and in a puddle of gas trying to reconnect things. Wife sure was not happy, and when that happens no one is happy.

I have found that the quickest way to get gas of of your clothing is to burn it....take them off first though.

That nylon clip if you need it does not hold the line on. It just prevents the release from getting depressed.

worm clamps will not work with the pressure that this system uses. the plastic clips are no big deal. you don't want to risk burning your car to the ground. just my advice, i'm an old ford mechanic.

Back