Ford 860 repairs

OldMachinist

Bronze
Rest In Peace
I've had my 860 in the shop this week working on some long overdue repairs.

The exhaust manifold was cracked nearly all the way around on one end.

DSCF1981.JPGDSCF1983.JPGDSCF1985.JPGDSCF1986.JPGDSCF1993.JPGDSCF1994.JPG

Had to machine it flat after brazing.

DSCF1988.JPGDSCF1989.JPG

The exhaust elbow flange also needed facing. Used a boring/facing head for that.

DSCF1995.JPGDSCF1997.JPG

[video]http://s245.photobucket.com/user/calfranch/media/Hobby%20Machinist/DSCF1996_zpsfa57d003.mp4.html[/video]

- - - Updated - - -

Next repair was the steering spindles(king pins) were wore bad. They've been bad since I got the tractor but never had the time to work on them.

DSCF2000.JPG

I turned them down, welded and re-machined them.

DSCF2001.JPGDSCF2003.JPG

New bushings and thrust bearings should be here in a couple up days.

- - - Updated - - -

A baffle in the gas tank came loose years ago and has been banging around in there. It knocked the filter off the valve and hit the plate the valve mounts to enough times that it started to leak. Cut a hole in the top of the tank, removed the baffle, re-soldered the mounting plate, welded the baffle back in and soldered a plate over the hole.

DSCF2005.JPGDSCF2006.JPGDSCF2007.JPGDSCF2010.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Just waiting on parts now.
DSCF2011.JPG

DSCF1981.JPG DSCF1983.JPG DSCF1985.JPG DSCF1986.JPG DSCF1993.JPG DSCF1994.JPG DSCF1988.JPG DSCF1989.JPG DSCF1995.JPG DSCF1997.JPG DSCF2000.JPG DSCF2001.JPG DSCF2003.JPG DSCF2005.JPG DSCF2006.JPG DSCF2007.JPG DSCF2010.JPG DSCF2011.JPG

Last edited:
Nice work...I understand completely not wanting a Chinese fuel tank on your Ford. The OEM tanks are much better built.

With that loader I see on it you'll want to make sure your front axle pivot pin and its mount are all in A1 shape and not cracked. I went thru all the same stuff on my 800 series a while back, and it made a huge difference in the steering. You'll be pretty happy with the results.

Nice work...I understand completely not wanting a Chinese fuel tank on your Ford. The OEM tanks are much better built.

With that loader I see on it you'll want to make sure your front axle pivot pin and its mount are all in A1 shape and not cracked. I went thru all the same stuff on my 800 series a while back, and it made a huge difference in the steering. You'll be pretty happy with the results.

The center axle pivot is next on my list of repairs as soon as I can get the radius arm pins to come out. They're rusted in and the service manual says not to use heat to free them up.

I got the radius arm pins out but had to drop the whole center support to get the center pivot out. Pin was just a little worn and you can see what was left of the bearing.

DSCF2012.JPG

The support had some cracks that needed welding.

DSCF2013.JPG

Bored the axle for a standard steel shelled oilite bearing from McMaster Carr.

DSCF2014.JPGDSCF2015.JPG

My new vertical exhaust came in. Made a bracket to support it.

DSCF2016.JPGDSCF2017.JPGDSCF2018.JPGDSCF2019.JPG

Next to be done is to press and ream the spindle bushings but that will have to wait till tomorrow. I have to mow 5-6 acres of lawn and clean out the cattle barn today.

DSCF2012.JPG DSCF2013.JPG DSCF2014.JPG DSCF2015.JPG DSCF2016.JPG DSCF2017.JPG DSCF2018.JPG DSCF2019.JPG

I've bush hogged a few times with the Ford since I did all this work and it's a pleasure to use now. Before you needed super human strength to make turns. Now it feels like power steering.

Awesome job Don. It just goes to show what can be repaired if you have the time to do the job. It just goes to show that i need to get more tools to do jobs like this :)

Very nice work so far. I have a 861 that needs a little TLC but not quite that much.

Keep up the good work.

Great job on the repairs. Those bolsters and pins sure get a lotta wear with the loader don't they? I couldn't figure out what cutting tool was used on surfacing the two-bolt flange in the 9th and 10th picture down.... Did you use electric soldering iron or torch for the soldering of the gas tank?

Btw, a year or two ago I was at a tool auction in Nashville that was held in a public building I'm thinking near a park...???? Well, at least I KNOW it was Nashville Il. Lotsa tools and machinery and was glad I brought a trailer.....

Back