Ford tractor exhaust manifold MIG welded.

aametalmaster

Registered
Registered
My neighbor bought a 1942 2N Ford this winter and someone had brazed a crack in the manifold. So he got out his die grinder and ground the crack almost all the way around and left a hole on the backside. I wanted him to remove the part so i could mig it properly but he resisted. So today i mig welded it up. Considering the rust and the nozzle didn't fit between the motor and manifold i think it turned out pretty good. Crown Alloys 44-30 .035 cast iron mig wire and 75/25 gas...Bob

projects 027a.JPG projects 029.jpg

Bob,

Well done. You saved a genuine Ford part. Thankfully, as I am no welder, I simply bought a new manifold for my 8N. Replacement manifold are cheap and plentiful, but are Chinese, and don't fit as well. My original Ford manifold wasn't cracked, but had eroded badly back by cylinder 4's exhaust port. this is common, and the erosion pits the cylinder block as well, which is not good. The gasket can only do so much. Next time your neighbour has his manifold off (necessary for adjusting the valves) see how bad that erosion is. Suggest you "MIG up" the pits whilst not too deep.

Ray

Like this one. Same guy different tractor. The end of the manifold was burned off from a leaky gasket thru the years. Just a little preheat and built it up with the cast mig wire. He filed it down with the biggest file i have ever seen...Bob

projects 093.jpg projects 094.jpg

Nice fix, hope it holds. Welding after an area has been brazed doesn't always work. The filler material "pollutes" the base metal and doesn't always allow for proper adhesion. Hopefully with the bolts on either side, it stays together.

Don't want to rain on your parade but for a more stressed application, it usually doesn't work.

nickle or stainless rod works good on cast sometimes. I tig welded a JD 2010 exhaust manifold this winter. I cut it and had to ad in a piece. I used stainless filler rod.

That wire looks pretty good, Bob. I probably should order some.

Back