[4]

Fordillac V-8 Engine Complete

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

gbritnell

Active User
Registered
Gentlemen,
The flathead V-8 engine is complete. With a total of 16 months and approximately 1900 hours, which includes, design, drawing and machining the project is finished, save starting and tuning. There were a few glitches along the way but nothing major, except the oil pan which the first one started out with the oil pump bulge on the wrong side of the pan. Other than that it has been very satisfying and enjoyable project.
gbritnell

jumps4

Global Moderator
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
everything really came out nice. I'm looking forward to your next video
Steve

tweinke

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Very nice job! I can not wait for the next video.

FOMOGO

Active User
In route to you are several large blocks of 6061 for a full size SOHC 427 Ford. ;) I should be so lucky. Really beautiful work. Were some full size Studilacs built (Caddy engine in 53-55 Studebakers) . Can't wait to hear it fire up. Mike

middle.road

Actively Learning...
ya know, if you put a drive shaft on it and connect it to a specially made blender, that would make for the most unique margarita mixer...

I couldn't tell the scale of it until I watched the video. :grin:
Awesome.

T Bredehoft

Active User
Yes, a number of Studelacs were built between 1953 and '55. Bill Frick, the artist Built a number of them, using Studebaker Coupe/Hardtop bodies and Cadillac engines, half a dozen still exist, maybe only one or two in driveable condition. The 330 Cu In Cadillac engines far surpassed Studebaker's 232s.

Last edited:
A

Andre

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
I saw that in my youtube subscription box earlier today. Had no idea you were a forum member.

Can't wait to see it running! Does it run on straight gas?

royesses

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Yes, a number of Studelacs were built between 1953 and '55. Bill Frick, the artist Built a number of them, using Studebaker Coupe/Hardtop bodies and Cadillac engines, half a dozen still exist, maybe only one or two in driveable condition. The 330 Cu In Cadillac engines far surpassed Studebaker's 232s.
Bill Frick and my Dad, Johnny Rocco(his racing name) built them. Our family album had many pages of photo's of all the parts and modifications they made. They were selling to a lot of wealthy people on long Island for their teenage sons. Bill and my dad stopped selling them when those teenagers started wrapping them around telephone poles and ramming into bridge abutments. My dad built a British AC chassis with Caddy engine for Sebring in 1954. Erwin Goldschmidt/Johnny Rocco/Beau Clarke/Lex Du Pont were the drivers. Goldschmidt over reved it on a downshift and blew the engine shortly after the start. Bill went on to doing stunt driving for Chevrolet commercials ( died doing that if memory serves me correctly)and my dad kept doing his racing. He was champion at 5 different tracks in NY and NJ in 1958 in the NASCAR modified division. Cancer killed him in April 1973. Just some trivia.

[5] [7]