Forge Burner

dlane

Active User
Registered
Hi all, I am having problems with the burner I made (Oliver downwind burner) I used a 1" Id sch 20 pipe at 9" long , the flame try's to burn inside the tube instead of out the flare , I drilled a #57 hole for the orfice?
You think opening up the hole would help I did use a 1" I'd pipe instead of 3/4" , I would like to keep it a Venturi system but forced air would prob fix it. I used a 7 gal air tank with two layers of insawool .
Any suggestions
Thanks
Derrick

Hi Derrick,

I don't understand if it's burning back into the tube in free-air or only when in the forge.....which or both?
Do you have a regulator on the propane tank?
Also check the alignment of the nozzle into the tube.

-brino

Thanks Brino, It would do it in forge and outside in a vice , it is a little breezy out here but should stay out flare end. The reg is 0-30 psi running it about 15psi. That weed burner would not get things red hot
I'll get a pic later , the nozzle is a #57 hole in a 1/4"pipe with one end caped. The pipe is tack welded ,guess I'll bust it loose and figure a way to align again , I'm thinking a #55-54 hole. Or a .023 mig tip would be better than a hole in pipe.
I believe I built it like the Oliver down or up wind burner on net, but I used a one inch tube instead of3/4"
Also the propane I'm using is fron the 70s , trying to empty a tank to make a bbq.
That is not the burner I'm trying to get working , just the forge , I'll get pic of burner and post in a bit
Thanks image.jpg

It may be that your nozzle is producing a flared out propane stream which is prematurely mixing with the air. An insufficient fuel-air velocity combined with early mixing allows the flame to back burn. You really want a pencil stream of propane. I believe that any flare of the exit hole is also detrimental. A MIG tip should give you a better results because of the longer passage.

This is the burner back end ,works better without cap on itimage.jpg This is itimage.jpg
The flare will be welded when it works good image.jpg The #57 hole is in x pipe , I'll try newer propane, and a mig tip .023 -.035 thanks RJ
Derrick

Back