Forge

aliva

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
I was intending to make an electric heat treat furnace, After calculating all the costs for elements, bricks, mortar, PID controller, angle iron, I decided that around $600:00 was way too much to invest for the amount I as going to use it. I even checked into using a pottery kiln, but again availability and hydro cost put the kybosh to that Idea. So I came up with a paint can propane fired forge. Total cost was around $ 60:00 well within my meager budget. The burner is made from some 3/4" BI pipe along with a 3/4-1 reducer 3/4 Tee reducers and a 1/4 BI nipple. The actual burner orifice is a piece of brass driledl to .035.and threaded into the end of the 1/4 pipe.
After a few adjustments I got a good blue flame. I run the burner at 4 psi from the propane tank I'm really quite pleased at the performance of this little thing. I can heat a piece of carbon steel 1 x 1 x 4 to hardening temperature in about 3-4 minutes. One draw back is that it's a little shallow for longer pieces, for now I just turn them around and keep heating IMG_20170922_110208333 (Medium) (2).jpg IMG_20170922_110229792 (Medium).jpg IMG_20170922_110334195_HDR (Medium).jpg IMG_20170922_110343883_HDR.jpg

IT MAY HAVE BEEN BETTER TO MOUNT THE BURNER ON A TANGENT TO THE COMBUSTION CHAMBER TO INDUCE A SWIRLING ACTION FOR MORE EVEN HEATING

Ya I thought of that and checked some forge web sites and generally it wouldn't make much difference in such a small space. If I decide to make a larger forge in the future it would certainly entertain the idea

Very cool. What did you use for the insulation?

Just one orifice hole? I did not think a setup without forced air, would draw in enough air, but sure seems to look like it is doing a super job.

The refractory I used is from Amazon 12.5 lb per container. I used a 3" diameter copper pipe for the form and poured the refractory around it.
It filled the entire space in the can except about 1/2" from the top. I used Crisco as a release agent on the pipe,it slipped out without much trouble.The pipe was suspended about 1-1/2' from the bottom for the end wall. I'll post pictures of the burner later today.
Hers the link to the refractory.
https://www.amazon.ca/Rutland-Casta...1506163372&sr=8-1&keywords=rutland+refractory

Back