Formable material used for measuring

Scra99tch

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I know they have clays and such for shaping around profiles and measuring. Does anyone know of a material that under a little bit of pressure can form around profiles?

I am trying to get an accuracte picture of a thread form while its in machine to make sure my grinding wheel has not lost its profile. So in my mind I would have a garlic press type lever that could push a sample of material into the threads while keeping a reference face parallel to the normal view of the thread. That way the material would not be fluid enough to ooze out of the rest of the thread channel, and if it did could be quickly ground, sliced off to give me something to measure.

Silly putty forms too well, JB-Weld would possibly work as long as I had a flat surface to reference on my grinder to clean up any "flashing", but would need to wait for it to set.

Thanks
Jim

I use a single edge razor blade to check the wheel profile. Just hold it up to the wheel, tipped slightly away from you, and grind the profile into the blade. Then you can look at the profile under whatever level of magnification you want, works great in a comparator.

Can't think of any quick way to do what you want.

There is a silicone mold-making putty that I've used that would work admirably for this task. Two-part equal mix, consistency of silly putty but sets up within about two or three minutes. Detail is exquisite -- easily reproduces a fingerprint in great resolution. Only drawback is it's a bit pricey. Can't think of the name off-hand but I'll run down to the shop here and see if I have some. If not, I know I have some at home yet.

-frank

Edit: yup, had some downstairs. Trouble is no name on the containers! :rolleyes: Will check my stash at home at get back.
putty.jpg

Ok, here's a different brand but the same stuff. Look for it at craft stores or where you can get resin and supplies for mold making and casting.

-frank
Capture putty 2.JPG

You could try polycaprolactone, trade names such as PolyMorph, InstaMorph, ThermoMorph. It is essentially a low melting temperature plastic used a lot in the hobby robots community.

David

Hi Guys,

There is always plastigauge. Mostly used for measuring clearances and the like. Its very similar to plasticine in nature and is reusable.

Their was a youtube video from ox tools recently, where he copies some splines with a low temperature alloy, might be helpful.

Stu

To check a formed wheel we used to hold a piece of 1/16" Phenolic fiber in a vice, run the wheel through it and check the profile. Didn't change the profile and I liked the smell...............Bob

Thanks great ideas. I'll be expermenting a little to find out our true thread forms.

Back