Found a new source for flat belt material

Chris Hamel

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Recently my belt needed replacing on my 9 inch sb. I have salvaged several treadmills for their motors and controllers. Kept the conveyor belts because they just seemed to good to throw out. At any rate, I cut a 1 1/8 inch strip and used it to make a belt. I laced the ends together with heavy nylon string. I put the rubberized side down. So far it is working good. Have to see how it holds up. The price was right.

Should work out real good..the treadmill beIts are strong.bigger the treadmill the heavier the belt.. had a spliced serpentine belt on my 11" Sheldon for about 6 years.

... I cut a 1 1/8 inch strip and used it to make a belt. I laced the ends together with heavy nylon string. I put the rubberized side down.

How did you cut the belt to width? Did you build a special tool to keep the same width (like a marking gauge with a blade)? Did you try to glue the ends instead of lacing?

I have glued ends,and even with a very long scarf,and taking the cords into account ,the join eventually peels at the fine scarf,and fails,......Now I use whipper snipper cord,Stihl,is best...extremely tough and hard wearing.......I also use the polygroove auto belt,and lace it in the grooves ,which means no hit as the join goes over a pulley.Run with the groove side to pulley.

Actually it didn't work out so well. The lacing started to pull thru after about a month. Cutting it to width was a pain. I used a straight edge and a razor knife.

Actually it didn't work out so well. The lacing started to pull thru after about a month. Cutting it to width was a pain. I used a straight edge and a razor knife.

Ahh, that's too bad... I've been wondering why I keep those old belts around, having not found a decent use for them. This would have been a very good reason for keeping.

Nothing ventured nothing gained. I've used the treadmill belts for making way covers for my Bridgeport. Will be putting some on the new to me Gorton also. Another good use is protecting bench tops. Cheers, Mike

Last edited:
I have found however they make excellent material to line tool box drawers.

Well, they are glued at the factory to make the original joint, so there has to be some way to copy the same proceedure.

How about a seat belt. I have had this mortiser at least 10years. It hasn't bee use a lot , maybe 3 hrs run time.

image.jpg

Back