Found a relic. NIB Face shield. 1961

WobblyHand

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
8 months ago my Dad died. Over the past months, I've been cleaning out his workshop and garage. Today, at home, I thought I had a face shield that I could use. Went out to the garage and found a rather new looking box.
IMG_20200413_104245.jpg
Looking at the side of the box, I noted something odd.
IMG_20200413_104303.jpg
Did you catch it? Yep, no zip code. Gee, wonder how old this face shield is? Well, zip codes were mandatory after 1967. So this is circa 1970 to give some time for the boxes to be used up? So at least 50 years old. Box is in really nice shape. So, let's see what's inside...

IMG_20200413_105034.jpg
There's a newspaper! Maybe it has a date on it...

IMG_20200413_105454.jpg
February 23, 1961. JFK was in office! Sam Rayburn was the Speaker of the House!

So this makes the face shield 59 years old! Surprisingly, the clear plastic seems to be in good shape. The elastic in the head band is ok. The only thing that seems to have deteriorated is the foam on the head band. It's turning to dust.
foam headband.jpg
Might not use the headband after all. At least not with this foam. But, I do have some sticky-back white felt that I could use. Now, where did I last see that felt?

Thanks for joining me for this short journey into the past.

8 months ago my Dad died. Over the past months, I've been cleaning out his workshop and garage. Today, at home, I thought I had a face shield that I could use. Went out to the garage and found a rather new looking box.
View attachment 320741
View attachment 320742
Did you catch it? Yep, no zip code. Gee, wonder how old this face shield is? Well, zip codes were mandatory after 1967. So this is circa 1970 to give some time for the boxes to be used up? So at least 50 years old. Box is in really nice shape. So, let's see what's inside...

View attachment 320744

View attachment 320745

So this makes the face shield 59 years old! Surprisingly, the clear plastic seems to be in good shape. The elastic in the head band is ok. The only thing that seems to have deteriorated is the foam on the head band. It's turning to dust.
View attachment 320747
Might not use the headband after all. At least not with this foam. But, I do have some sticky-back white felt that I could use. Now, where did I last see that felt?

Your dad left you something a lot more than just a facemask.

View attachment 320741
View attachment 320742

View attachment 320744

View attachment 320745

View attachment 320747

I too have been going through my dad's shop stuff. It's amazing that things were built so well back then, I have a 50-year-old Nalgene wash bottle that's just as supple today as it was when new....

But, the memories these items bring back are more priceless than anything....

John

Back