Found an Atlas Shaper

henry,

I don't think that I recall any shaper vise plans but in the Atlas Craftsman & etc. area of Downloads, there are two or three catalogs with photographs of hard wood cabinets fir the lathes, mills and shapers. Also, an exploded-view drawing of the Shaper vise can be found in any one of the several copies of the Shaper parts manuals.

Because of the monthly storage cost, access to Downloads requires Donor status at any of the available levels. Minimum is $10 per year.

If I was going to make a vise I'd make a two piece like Rudy Kouhoupt had on his in his shaper vids. There is as little height as possible and it's very accurate and sturdy.

My shaper came on what I think was a WWII vintage teletype stand that I put castors and heavy machine retractable brake feet on as I have to move mine. My ultimate goal when I find some good angle iron for cheap is to redo the stand and build it on a 3drawer file cabinet. I have a growing storage need for all the tools and parts that I use with the shaper which I only see expanding in the future and the two upper drawers are called letter drawers with the bottom being a full size file drawer. Perfect for keeping everything with the shaper. Here's some of the setups with my backstop, and toe clamps.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 41
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 41
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 41
The original rotating vise is nice to have, the rotation is useful at times, but those things are getting very expensive. Expect nothing less than 200 for one from someone who knows what it is. As for the toolholder, it wouldn't be hard to make one. I got an atlas toolholder with mine, and it wouldn't be hard to make one with the same functionality. Enjoy.

Google "ShaperVise.pdf". You should find a link to a pdf with drawings for the AMMCO (Delta) shaper vise.

This is the one I was thinking about, probably a planer but wonder if it could be scaled down for my Atlas.
Shaper Vise popular-mechanics-vol-037-1922-03-p462-pdf505-adjustable-planer-vise-image.png

Back