Found an old unmarked lathe

You don't want to drop $250 on something that will never deliver much part of anything you want to be doing in the future, and still take up the space, reminding you you could have put the $250 toward a new toolpost or something for the machine that later really does it for you.

Ultimately it comes down to what budget the OP has to spend here. This machine is less than half what a mini lathe costs and might make quite nice parts with a little love, if the total budget is small then why not start with an antique.

Also it's not clear in the photos but if it's sitting on original cast iron legs he could end up making money just by selling those.

I bought my Star without a clue but at the time it didn't matter because $300 was pretty much all I had to spend. Sure, I could have waited and saved but I had a need right then and the Star filled it nicely.

Fitting a compound isn't beyond reason, another member here did it recently. Solid, sturdy old tools do have a place in the home shop and for some they are a passion in themselves. I do agree that if the goal is to start making good, accurate parts right away this probably isn't the machine. But there are many, many jobs I've done with my Star that could be done with this machine as it sits.

John

The machine looks to have been most recently used for woodworking. That may account for the unusual toolpost. It also could possibly be indicative of unusual wear. It would be OK at that price if it could be later used for some specific purpose. I already have several, 2 metal and 2 wood. I personally would rather use the money for useful tooling.

But I think all of the comments here are from folks who already have at least one lathe, you really have to look at it from the perspective of someone who is trying to find something and doesn't have much budget.

If the OP has $1000 to spend then yes wait for something better, or save another grand and buy a new machine like the Grizzly 0602. If however the budget is only $500 then this one is probably a good deal because he will have another $250 to get it sorted.

But unless it's an inside track deal it's probably already gone if the seller has it listed on Craigslist. Anything that cheap would quickly get snapped up in most markets....

John

Speaking of Atlas, I see TH54 and QC54. They appear very similar, is one better?

Thanks for the feedback fellas. Yeah the price was sucking me in. I’m in the $1k budget so looking at Atlas as I mentioned above. With the smaller spindle bore I need 36” between centers to work on rifle barrels.
I did find a jet 1024 that would work, but missed out on it.

Patience then. And get something known good for gunsmithing, even if you need to expand the budget.

John

I have used Atlas tools for many years and have not found them lacking very much. I have also purchased basket case machinery and rebuilt. I probably spent more than the machines were worth in the long run but I did not have the cash to buy a complete machine at that time so over all I ended up with a good machine with the cash I had to spend. (Slow cash outlet did not hurt as much)

Speaking of Atlas, I see TH54 and QC54. They appear very similar, is one better?

Those are both 10" lathes with a 54" bed. The TH is for Timken/Horizontal config, while the QC has a quick change gear box (desirable). Plenty of room for a rifle barrel. You can do a lot of bolt action gunsmithing tasks on the Atlas, just work slow and take finer cuts. You will have to use a steady rest for barrels, but I think steadies are just fine. Most people like to stick the barrel through the head stock these days, but I can tell you from experience that it is not at all necessary or "better" for producing accuracy.

Atlas 10" lathes are great for learning, and they have enough capacity to do some real work. They don't like being fed fast or pushed hard, they are not as rigid as a South Bend or Logan within the same class. But they are plentiful and affordable, so it's worth your consideration.

Back