Found another issue

Only one person can control the quality of the work that is done and that is the person doing the work. All the QC inspectors, managers, testers etc can only, at best, detect poor quality work after it has been performed.

I can say firsthand it's not just the Chinese. The two manufacturing plants I worked in were more worried about getting it out the door working ok than being truly right. I was pretty universally resented by fab, machine and management. But any time there was something critical I was on the short list. Management barely acknowledged that I had no comebacks and never commented about my work only to say that I was slow.

And even though it was obvious who was doing the crappy work because there was a paper trail nothing was ever done because these individuals had been there a long time and appeared to work fast. They rushed about always yelling at the guys under them and berated them constantly. Luckily I never had to work under them but I had to go out in the field all the time to fix their crap work. Now in an environment like that where's the incentive to good work? It is neither rewarded nor acknowledged. Ever notice how on TV and movies all the time now doing something horrible to somebody is always with the preamble "it's not personal, it's only business"? Being forced to do crappy work because it was made wrong or engineered wrong felt personal to me. It's why I don't do that work anymore.

" We know it isn't right , but that's the way we do it " !! :grin: Yeah , hear it all the time , and I'm the knumnut who has to fix it in the end . :rolleyes:

I had a young man come to my office 25 years ago and told me he wanted to be a Carpenter. To this day he is still the slowest man out there but all of his work is perfect and he still working for me

Have to wonder how many got made that way before they made a correction. Hopefully there has been a correction! never know.

Unlikely, what you see is the result of the importer chipping the price below that which will buy decent production and hence the manufacturer farming stuff out to the lowest bidder to try to make a living.
The importer expects to make a fat profit on the sale so you don't see how cheaply the machine was actually made.

It's bad enough that the part was made that way, but it's even worse that more hands touched it on the assembly line and on final inspection. At least you can drink until it looks straight.
What makes you think that there is a "final inspection"?

Bit off the subject but good a good view/read

Anyone heard of William Edwards Deming? Check out his Red bead experiment. I have worked for a couple of multinational companies IBM for one and this is exactly how they operate.

At the bottom of overview just before Family there is a quick story of Ford/Mazda transmissions. The Japanese used Demings quality philosophy Ford did not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Edwards_Deming

Back