Found the issue with my Burke #4

Charley Davidson

Active User
Registered
Remember I said my vertical head attachment had locked up, I was mistaken. I took the head off to try out some tooling Benny had brought over to me for the horizontal function. While we were trying it out it locked up again. The issue was the 2 locking rings that take the end play out of the spindle. One was loose from the other and backed off tightening against the bronze/brass bushing. I adjusted it and tightened them together/against each other and all seems fine. I need to fix my vice now. I tried out the slotting cutter he brought me on both steel & aluminum, we hogged some pretty good cuts for such a little machine. It worked really well on the aluminum.

I need to get some better belting & figure out my spindle speeds with the pulleys that are on it and the motor RPM, I think it will smooth out really nice. I think once I have it dialed in perfectly I will put it on the market as I really need a full size machine & don't have room or the $$$ for both.

That's good news Charley, glad you and Benny figured it out. I have a tachometer you can borrow if you wish; might help in determining the speeds you spoke of. Let me know.
Bob

Thanks Bob, Yea the tach. would come in handy, Hows it hook up to the machinery? Give me a call at your convenience I may not here the phone if I'm working on those fork lifts & if the guy don't get his ducks in a row he'll be painting them himself. Can't really see working for $8.00 an hr.

Charley, the tach I have works with reflective tape; tape a slice onto a wheel, aim, read results. Pretty quck and easy, and I think my wife has still has some reflective tape. I'll have to look for your card again, it's in one of my vehicles, or pm me here.
Bob

Charley, For what it's worth, my #4 has a Master gear head motor with an output speed of 288rpm. It has the original 3 step heavy duty pulleys on the motor & spindle. Here are my speeds as measured with a tach that also uses reflective tape. Spindle @ 170 - V. Head @ 238
288 403
480 672
Don't know if this helps or not.

Thanks Big Mac, Does your Burke have the flat belts or the V belts? Mine is all flat belt. Got any pictures of yours?

Also what kind of tooling you have for yours and what kind of cut depth/width you able to handle? Any little tricks on holding work with that little table?

Burke no.4 (2).JPG Burke no.4 (3).JPG Burke no.4 (4).JPG Burke no.4 (5).JPG Burke no.4 (6).JPG Burke no.4 (7).JPG Burke no.4.jpg

Charley, am I seeing a shaper trying to poke it's head out from behind that mill? I didn't know that you scored that; it looks great from what I can see. By the way, did you get the tachometer to give you your speeds? I found the reflective tape laying in the parking garage the next morning. It's in my work truck if you need it.
Bob

Bob, those pictures were taken at the previous owners shop. Haven't had time to get the tape yet but I'll get some tomorrow. I did find a deal on a 12" shaper I may buy.

Hey Charley, sorry I got all excited for you... just a natural reaction I guess. So, what kind of shaper did you find? Is it a little more local than the one in Mass?

Bob

Rockford 12" & it's only a couple hours away. Benny was sick yesterday so I didn't want to bother him about going and getting it. If the guy still has it next week maybe I'll go get it then.

The Bridgeport mill you sent me the link to was the same one I was second emailer on from LSN & this guy bought it & was trying to resale it. It was in really bad shape, bet he got it for 2 or 3 hundred.

Back