Found this old 22L

Look like your machine was built in 1942.

Look on eBay. There are a couple of MT3 ER40 chucks for $25 and a bunch for around $50.
I was worried about milling with a taper adaptor. I guess I would be able to use it some with that but a setup with a draw bar would be much more capable. I already have Bridgeport style mill so I'm not naked in the milling department!

I think you are right about this being a 1942 model as many features are shared with Van Norman's even older mills. The later ones had a split dovetail an the y axis way. Thanks again for your input on the subject! Now if I could get caught up in my shop enough to get back working on it!

There are lots of options for MT-shank ER collet chucks with drawbar threads.

There are lots of options for MT-shank ER collet chucks with drawbar threads.
Ok, just so we are on the same page. This is the only taper adaptor I have. Looks more like drill press style. I think it's like mt2 or mt1 also. Very small. If I make a taper adaptor it is going to be for something way more substantial for this beast! Thanks for the input though.

I think I will start another thread with my cat40 conversion.

IMG_20180715_161656575.jpg

IMG_20180715_161704541.jpg

IMG_20180715_161710077.jpg

OK. That doesn't look like a Van Norman taper shank adapter (at least not like the ones shown in the Attachments, Arbors & Accessories catalog). The catalog doesn't show a B&S 13 taper adapter smaller that MT 3 or B&S #9. Have you checked it with a Morse taper tool? It could easily be an adapter to something like B&S #7 taper.

Does your spindle have a slot to engage the tang on the taper attachment?

Yes it does have the slot. It's missing the nut though.

Wish I had that universal high speed attachment in that catalog!

Interesting. Does the adapter have any markings to indicate who make it?
It says Clinton, Iowa and has letters above that. On further inspection it is a smaller taper and someone pressed rings on it to to adapt to a bigger taper. The bottom ring is covering up the other writing on it.

Finished my cat 40 adaptor. Built a draw bar and I'm getting a pretty nice finish with this face mill. Didn't even need trammed in! Used my cat 40 er 40 collet chuck to mill a pocket into the end of some square bar for clamping to the table. Side milling with the spindle at 90 degrees is already proving this machines worth in my shop!

IMG_20180819_210706393.jpg

IMG_20180819_210653088.jpg

Back