FOUR JAW CHUCK do you like it or hate it?

How often is your 4 jaw used?

• Alway use a 4 jaw never use a 3 jaw

Votes: 14 7.7%
  • Use a 4 jaw most of time

Votes: 37 20.2%
  • Use a 3 jaw and some times use 4 jaw

Votes: 89 48.6%
  • Use a 4 jaw only if I have to use one

Votes: 43 23.5%
  • Only use a 3 jaw, 4 jaw makes me mad & chuck key goes flying

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: FOUR JAW CHUCK do like it or hate it 4

I use the 4 jaw chuck all the time. My 3 jaw chuck does not run true. Many years ago a retired tool and die maker was going to help me and instead of indexing all the surfaces to locate the cause of the runout, he dismantled the chuck and started machining the surface between the 2 halves. It required shims to reassemble and the runout was not imporved. I don't know what he was thinking and I had no experience with a lathe at that time. The 3 jaw chuck sits next to my lathe and I shake my head every time I look at it. I did purchase a new 3 jaw over a year ago and have yet to fit it to my lathe. I have become rather adept at centering a part with a magnetic base dial indicator. I find the 4 jaw more useful.

Last edited:

I use a 3-jaw with the adjustable center feature 99% of the time on my lathe. I also have a 4-jaw, 5C collet, rubber collet and 6-jaw with adjustable center for the lathe. Would I recommend these other items just mentioned? Probably not, with the exception of the 4-jaw. I have been at it for 50+ years, the chuck is the heart of the lathe, I would get a 3-jaw adjust tru chuck. In my lifetime I can count on one hand the times I have turned between centers. With an adjust tru you can pretty much get it dead nuts concentric. And have the speed of a scroll. The 4-jaw setting up time is tedious…Good Luck, Dave.

My first lathe came with a 4-jaw chuck. I hated it, and pined for a 3-jaw. The next lathe I got came with a 3-jaw. Boy was I tickled until I needed that fourth jaw. The last lathe came with both. I use the 3-jaw a lot. But when you don't have diameter to throw away, or the stock is just barely long enough and has to be swapped, or is odd-ball, and more, that 4th jaw will save your bacon. Back when I had that first lathe, dial indicators were for commercial shops and rich buggers. Chalk was how we centered up the stock. It worked surprisingly well, too.
My dad taught me the chalk (or soapstone) method. He probably learned it during the 1920's !

My dad taught me the chalk (or soapstone) method. He probably learned it during the 1920's !

Please explain the soapstone method.

Daryl
MN

I find myself using the 5C collet chuck more and more, next the 3 jaw. I watch people quickly set up a part in a 4 jaw on YouTube, it's just never that easy for me!

I do mainly very small parts. so my go to chuck is a 6 jaw, then the collet chuck. I have used the 4 jaw chuck about once a year on odd projects.

My Craftsman 109 has a 4 jaw, my (unused) T.Taylor lathe has a 4 jaw, and I use a 4 jaw on my South Bend when I'm not using the collet setup. My South Bend does have a nice 3 jaw, but it's bell mouthed and needs grinding. So it's not used at the moment.

I only have a 4 jaw I can use right now as the original 3 jaw was beat up and has terrible run out, and the new 3 jaw I bought needs a back plate made before I can use it. Doesn't take long to dial in the work and it would be quicker if I had somewhere better to mount the DI or if the headstock didn't move so much :)

However, as soon as the 3 jaw is ready I can see myself using that a whole lot more!

How often do you use a Four Jaw Chuck

In my career I used about every type of chuck out there. Four jaw chucks are dead on when it comes to location but take time to change production pieces. Three jaw chuck are great for production specially if the outside diameter is turned as part of the part. Collect chucks are preferred in production situations where the bar stock can be power fed with a snap draw-bar closure.

by soapstone method,he probably means letting the lathe run,and carefully presenting a piece of soapstone to the metal. Let it touch. Turn off the lathe. The touched place will be the high spot of the metal. Adjust the chuck to make that high spot recede. Keep doing this till the soapstone touches all around.

This is tedious and uncertain as you have no way of knowing how much you're moving the metal. I always use a dial indicator when centering work in the 4 jaw,with the lathe turned off till I get the metal centered as accurately as I want. With care,you can get down to a tenth or two-IF the metal is perfectly round. And,MOST metal is NOT. Not even drill rod,which is slightly LOBED.

Back