• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

Four Jaw Self Centering Chuck

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Rockytime

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
I have been toying with using ER-16 collets on my Sherline lathe unsuccessfully due to an inadequate collet holder. It was suggested I get a Beall collet holder ad use me ER-32 collets which I did. The Beall hangs so far over the bed it looks ridiculous as I have a short bed. It would be OK except that the TIR at the end of the holder was .004, possibly due to the long overhang. I am able to cause deflection by pressing lightly on the Beall, perhaps a little play in the head stock bearings. So I mounted a self centering 4-jaw chuck and checked the runout. I was amazed! TIR .002. My 3-jaw is out .004.

Attachments

mikey

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
I have been toying with using ER-16 collets on my Sherline lathe unsuccessfully due to an inadequate collet holder. It was suggested I get a Beall collet holder ad use me ER-32 collets which I did. The Beall hangs so far over the bed it looks ridiculous as I have a short bed. It would be OK except that the TIR at the end of the holder was .004, possibly due to the long overhang. I am able to cause deflection by pressing lightly on the Beall, perhaps a little play in the head stock bearings. So I mounted a self centering 4-jaw chuck and checked the runout. I was amazed! TIR .002. My 3-jaw is out .004.
Interesting. I get 0.0002" TIR with my Beall chuck but I'm using Techniks collets and a Rego-Fix nut.

I do like Sherline chucks - very low run out for what they are.

[6]
[5] [7]