Four Jaw Self Centering Chuck

Rockytime

Active User
Registered
I have been toying with using ER-16 collets on my Sherline lathe unsuccessfully due to an inadequate collet holder. It was suggested I get a Beall collet holder ad use me ER-32 collets which I did. The Beall hangs so far over the bed it looks ridiculous as I have a short bed. It would be OK except that the TIR at the end of the holder was .004, possibly due to the long overhang. I am able to cause deflection by pressing lightly on the Beall, perhaps a little play in the head stock bearings. So I mounted a self centering 4-jaw chuck and checked the runout. I was amazed! TIR .002. My 3-jaw is out .004.

1-20170704_203845.jpg

I have been toying with using ER-16 collets on my Sherline lathe unsuccessfully due to an inadequate collet holder. It was suggested I get a Beall collet holder ad use me ER-32 collets which I did. The Beall hangs so far over the bed it looks ridiculous as I have a short bed. It would be OK except that the TIR at the end of the holder was .004, possibly due to the long overhang. I am able to cause deflection by pressing lightly on the Beall, perhaps a little play in the head stock bearings. So I mounted a self centering 4-jaw chuck and checked the runout. I was amazed! TIR .002. My 3-jaw is out .004.

Interesting. I get 0.0002" TIR with my Beall chuck but I'm using Techniks collets and a Rego-Fix nut.

I do like Sherline chucks - very low run out for what they are.

Back