Fowler and Vevor micrometers for hobbiest?

intrepid

Registered
Registered
I’m looking to buy a set of micrometers 1-4 or 1-6. Just a hobbiest and don’t want to invest in high end professional stuff. Was looking at Fowler but was wondering if also the Vevor is worth considering? I know nothing of either brand. Any other brands I should consider? Looking for opinions. Thanks

The older blue Fowlers were around years ago and were identical to the green Mits . Great mics if you can find them . JMO . I went with the Mit set back in 77 for no special reason but have plenty of Starretts as well as others .

I know nothing of the Vevor brand, so I can not speak to those. As a Tool & Die Maker, I always bought Starrett, Brown & Sharp or Mititoyo but somehow acquired some used Fowler tools, including a 1" mic. I am very impressed with the Fowler mic. I also have a 6" Fowler vernier caliper, that I bought new, the thing is bullet proof, I use it all the time.

Richard

New Fowler stuff is from China I believe- doesn't mean it's bad. Older stuff was USA made.
Vevor is a Chinese brand. Quality may be variable. I'd buy used USA stuff myself, Lufkin for example

If your not in a rush I have a set of something outside, I can check to see what it is, all my stuff now is better quality. NSK is in my mind, something made in Japan, but not Mitutoyo. I may also have a roller display Fowler set, both 0-6. I'm not real mobile right now, and have to wait for my wife to go to work so I don't get caught going into the garage :)

If your not in a rush I have a set of something outside, I can check to see what it is, all my stuff now is better quality. NSK is in my mind, something made in Japan, but not Mitutoyo. I may also have a roller display Fowler set, both 0-6. I'm not real mobile right now, and have to wait for my wife to go to work so I don't get caught going into the garage :)
I've been in the garage all morning . Sockets and wrench duty today . I don't know why I started down this journey today , it'll take a week at best . If I don't have 50 ratchets I don't have one . :grin:

New Fowler stuff is from China I believe- doesn't mean it's bad. Older stuff was USA made.
Vevor is a Chinese brand. Quality may be variable. I'd buy used USA stuff myself, Lufkin for example
The shop where I apprenticed had a bunch of Lufkin mikes among others, I always thought that they were a bit clunky compared to Starrett or B&S, as time went on I bought mikes for myself so I did not need to use the tool crib stuff most of the time, I ended up with 0 - 6" mostly in the #436RL series, except the 0-1 which has the plated frame VS the black painted forged steel frames of the 436.

Thanks for the offer. I’m in no rush just starting my search. Yes let me know when you can. Thanks again.

The Fowler is only 0-3", I have to go out to the garage later, and get a part number for the NSK, I did go out but did not think to get the number.... I have a Starrett 0-6" set, do I need 2 full sets is what I'm asking myself....

do I need 2 full sets is what I'm asking myself....
Post a poll . You know where my vote would be . Did those Starretts come from Md ?

Back