Fowler edge finder

GunsOfNavarone

Registered
Registered
So I have been using a Mitutoyo manual after finder. I'll tell you, that just doesn't work for me. Maybe it's a missing chromosome...I don't know. I moved on to an Electronic Fowler edge finder and if course it didn't come with a battery...whatever. The info sheet that came with it said "One 12v battery". 12v? Weird but again, whatever. Went online looking for 12v battery...yup, car batteries and the like came back. However I did come across a 12v 23a battery. Here's where it gets confusing. The battery compartment is 3" long ( minus threaded cap, 2.5" . A 23a battery is just under an 1" long and remember , info sheet said "One 12v battery", but any way you slice it, 2 wouldn't be long enough and 3 would be too long.
Anyone have one of these? What battery do you use and how many
Thanks guys

I've got 2 of them. Both use 12V 23A batteries (same unit purchased yrs apart that came in different style cases) & both of mine came with batteries. They use only one. 23A batteries were commonly used in older automotive keyless entry & alarm remotes. Newer ones don't use 23A batteries anymore so not sure what else uses 23A batteries.

I'm surprised you are having trouble with the Mitutoyo. Although I use the Folwer one more often I have PEC conventional edge finders & I trust them more. The Fowler one I use a lot cause they're quick & good enough (accuracy) but mainly when I don't want to mar the finish of a finished part. Useless for non-conductive parts or when I'm using something to protect the parts when clamped. But a jumper takes care of the latter, I'll just use a scale to complete the circuit cause it's always around. I'll use a conventional anytime the accuracy is more important, they're more accurate than the Fowler/SPI.

There's 2 models that Fowler/SPI offer though. The other one is the break away ball tip type that costs more than double than the standard one. Not sure what battery those use though.

20191216_181710.jpg

Probably 1.2V with a typo

Edit: I though tiny 12V batteries went away decades ago. Who remembers 69V batteries for tube equipment? I thought so!

Last edited:
My garage door opener remotes all use the 23 12 volt battery. Inside it is a stack of 6 coin cells.

Yep, I forget what size the cells are inside but they are a standard cell size that you can buy, wrap in tape & use in place of a 23A. But that was back when 23A cells were sold for too much money.

I've been using the Tormach break away ball type edge finder for years now and love it. Always wondered how to edge find more accurately. Just found this!

Watch at the 6 minute mark. I bet everyone knows this already but it was new to me!

From where I was instructed by and old Journeyman machinist the youtube video above leaves a whole lot to be desired.
1576613196739.png
In my experience of running Jig Bores, Jig Grinders and CNC machines the chair pictured above is the most accurate and most efficient way to pick up the edge of any part. It is also the most economical for if you are really $$ wise you can make your own!

GunsOfNavaron -
Though I can sympathize with you for having trouble with a traditional (spinning) edge finder, I gotta say that I still prefer it over any of the ones (like the electronic type) that don't involve spindle rotation. If the collet or chuck is a bit off, a non-rotating edge finder will be off by whatever error there is in the holding device. Suburban Tool has a neat video that demonstrates how accurately a spinning edge finder works, even when deliberately placed way off center:

Back