Fractional Horse Power V Belts, No Matched Sets?

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
In manufacturing, farming and general machinery use there are v-belts designated as fractional HP.
Compressors in the shop have 4 each. I was told they no longer make matched sets.
My lathe has a 7.5 HP motor and 4 belts.
If you watch the compressors run you can see the belts are not matched, in fact one makes a slapping sound in the morning when I first start them up.
The lathe has developed a belt chirp that bugs me.
Is it really true?
No more matched sets?

This may help..http://gatesbeltsandapplications.blogspot.com/2011/09/v-belt-matching.html

About 10 years ago, the local bearing and power transmission store told me that manufacturing processes have improved so much that there is no longer a need for "matched sets".

Craig

I was told the same thing about six months ago when I replaced the three belts on my Unisaw.

You might want to try this: Measure the inward deflection of each of the four belts at the center and mark each belt. Then move the tightest belt to where the loosest belt was, then next tightest to next loosest, etc. Could make a difference and there is no cost involved to try it.

A ganged set of idlers spring loaded would work for belts of slightly different length. It might be an interesting
project for someone, maybe Janderso.:)

This may help..http://gatesbeltsandapplications.blogspot.com/2011/09/v-belt-matching.html
Interesting.
Maybe if we replace the belts on the slapping compressor with a new set of Gates the problem will be resolved.

1579099442847.png

""""Many Gates V-belts are manufactured within the above match tolerances, allowing stocked belts to run as matched sets ""

I have been using the Gates Tri-Power belts and so far they have been very close tolerance between belts and I do not get a lot of belt powder flying off. I would recommend getting your belts from a wholesaler as opposed to say Amazon or eBay, purchased some from Amazon and they were quite old.

Back