Franko's Hf Engine Hoist Mod

I tacked on a small 3/8 socket to the jack and use a ratchet with a handle long enough to control the lowering.

Looks good, consider spraying a little paint inside the tubes or adding caps to the end of them.

I tacked on a small 3/8 socket to the jack and use a ratchet with a handle long enough to control the lowering.

Not a bad idea, Ed. I'd be concerned with ruining a seal welding on that stub. The plan is just a knob that I can use on both my shop press and the hoist. I saw a cool one that was made with a round faucet handle.

Hi
Are you going to do a Max test lift on it

Jeff, I don't have anything heavy enough to do a max lift test. I'm pretty confident with the welding, and each one is welded on all 4 sides. I put my weight on the hook and didn't see any movement or torquing to cause concern.

Looks good, consider spraying a little paint inside the tubes or adding caps to the end of them.

Ed, the schedule 40 tube is painted (or whatever that black coating is) on the inside. I sprayed in as far as it would go when I painted the cut ends.

Phase 2 is done (I hope). We'll see how the brass holds up.

I used an old chem lab faucet stem from my plumbing scraps. I cut off the washer part and trimmed down the water flow adjusting threads. Then, drilled a hole and milled some slots.

My jack valve wrench. Cost, $0. It took about an hour to make.
It seems to work well.

jack release_0790.JPG

Thanks, Ed, John.
And, thanks to all who've looked, liked and commented.

I'm not sure what phase 3 will be. Probably some sort of organizer to keep my lifting straps and 800# ratcheting tie down that I use to balance the loads. Maybe a waterproof stuff sack and hanging hardware. And probably a stowage hook or ring for the pump valve wrench.

I have an idea for more compact long-term stowage, using a couple big hooks to hang the legs more compactly against the boom.

Nice work. Now I have something else to aspire to. Man You guys comeup with ideas I gotta do but don't have time to. Dang!

Back