Franko's Hf Engine Hoist Mod

I'm not sure what phase 3 will be.
Here are a couple changes I made to my own engine hoist. The first is very simple - spray paint white around the holes in the arm, so they're easier to see and align with the "master" hole:
Hoist mod 2.jpg
Secondly, find a good, forged eyebolt and install it in the end of the arm opposite the chain. This is handy if you need just a skosh more height. I added a chunk of ¼" steel below the nut to spread the load a bit. Cross drill the end of the stud and add some kind of safety wire or clip, so it won't unscrew. Flip the arm as needed to use one or the other.
Hoist mod 1.jpg

I like that, John. I just shortened the chain and hook to two links on mine. I like the eye-bolt because you can rotate it to adjust the alignment on what you are lifting.

Franko Nice work on the hoist. Great Idea just be careful on heavy picks as now you have added a twist factor to the load on the support feet. probably not an issue just thought I would throw it in there.

Franko Nice work on the hoist. Great Idea just be careful on heavy picks as now you have added a twist factor to the load on the support feet. probably not an issue just thought I would throw it in there.

There doesn't seem to be much twist, Mark. I was concerned about that. The geometry is pretty close to stock. The wheels are just a couple inches wider than the line from the angled mounts. I'll be watching that the next heavy thing I lift. If they seem to be twisting, I can clamp a bar across the legs either through or under the tube section of the legs. I left them open for just that eventuality.

Really a great idea!! I am envious of all you guys that do such wonderful fabrication jobs. I'm just a beginner in this hobby but hopefully someday will be able to do just a bit of what you guys seem to do so easily.

I do download all your photos so please keep them coming on all your projects!

hman,

Be very carefull with your eye bolt mod as that is much less strong than the factory design. The load is only supported by the lower face of the tube, about 1/8" thick material, and could tear out with enough load. The cracks would start at the tube opening at each lower corner and then follow the corners. With the factory design the bolt is in double shear, which is good, and is supported by both sides of the tube. Any failure (other than the bolt or chain) would require the bolt to tear through the tube in the middle of that section. I have this same hoist and I have seen the lift arm flex under load enough to see a curve in it. The eye bolt mod should work fine for a few hundred lbs but not for the rated load. I will be using mine to remove the motor on my mill and I plan on adding an extension tube to the lift arm to increase the lift height but the motor is under 100 lbs so not too concerned. Capping the end of the tube would add strength but it still would not be as strong. It all depends on what you are lifting.

Dan

My suggestion would to add a air jack. I added one to mine years ago and have worn out 2 sets of casters on it since I use it so much! http://www.harborfreight.com/8-ton-long-ram-air-hydraulic-jack-94562.html

I don't expect to use the hoist very often, Pontiac Freak. It it were something I use more than once a month, I might consider it. The longest jack is from folded to up. I can just pull it by hand to about perpendicular.

Nice job Franko. It turned out great and well thought out.
Mike.

Thanks, Mike

hman,

Be very carefull with your eye bolt mod as that is much less strong than the factory design. The load is only supported by the lower face of the tube, about 1/8" thick material, and could tear out with enough load. The cracks would start at the tube opening at each lower corner and then follow the corners. With the factory design the bolt is in double shear, which is good, and is supported by both sides of the tube. Any failure (other than the bolt or chain) would require the bolt to tear through the tube in the middle of that section. I have this same hoist and I have seen the lift arm flex under load enough to see a curve in it. The eye bolt mod should work fine for a few hundred lbs but not for the rated load. I will be using mine to remove the motor on my mill and I plan on adding an extension tube to the lift arm to increase the lift height but the motor is under 100 lbs so not too concerned. Capping the end of the tube would add strength but it still would not be as strong. It all depends on what you are lifting.

Dan

Thanks, Dan. Hadn't thought of that aspect of the design. Fortunately, I'm extremely conservative in my use of the hoist - NEVER had anything bend! But I'll continue to keep an eye on the end of the arm.

Back