Fraud Alert - Wells Fargo/Amazon Transactions

vtcnc

Admin
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Just got off the phone with the fraud department at Wells Fargo. Here are the highlights:

• We got a CC invoice from Wells Fargo today with two low dollar transactions that looked like Amazon - about $15.
  • The thing that looked odd was a $2.01 transaction. It didn't look familiar.
  • Went on the Amazon account and checked:
    • Is this card a payment option? NO
    • Is there an order for the amounts on the CC invoice? NO
    • Check not just Prime Orders, but Digital Orders as well. NO problems.
  • Called Wells Fargo - spoke with a very pleasant agent, MacKenzie.
    • MacKenzie exclaimed, "I knew it!" when we told her it was an Amazon charge we wanted to dispute.
    • She cancelled the transactions and sent us a new card.
Here is the kicker: she said that the fraud department is confused about where these transactions are coming from - they aren't coming from Amazon. It's completely counterfeit transactions. Because they don't know the scope of the problem, they haven't made a public announcement yet!

So, if Wells Fargo won't do it, well then I can - here is your Friendly Forum PSA - CHECK YOUR WELLS FARGO CREDIT CARD ACCOUNT NOW and cross check any Amazon transactions with your account.

Pay attention people! Nobody else is doing it for you!

And WF won't make a PA until it hits the News. Shakes public confidence if they keep having to make announcements.
I can't imagine being in IT/MIS nowadays and trying to stay ahead of the fraudsters.

It could all be fixed very easy. Stop allowing banks to transfer someones money without them telling the bank to do the transfer. Yes, it would be inconvenient for awhile, but would not take long for us to get used to it. The idea that our system allows someone with my routing number, and account number to get access to my account, is pure stupidity. As much as I do not care for PayPal, they get it, I have to tell Paypal the request is valid, or the money does not move. I cannot even get my bank to block requests.

Same thing here, Have 2 different credit cards with My bank. One is private, one is business only. Both hacked, says it originated with PayPal. My PP account shows no activity. The amount withdrawn is over the amount I have in the account. New cards coming but lost the use of the cards till other ones get here. Back to writing checks. My bank is not Wells Fargo.

Over the years I have fled from Wells Fargo many times, each time to a bank that was soon to be absorbed by WF. I hope I'm safe from them for awhile.

I am also a Wellscovia customer here in the banking city. Probably written by a hater so take it with a grain of salt.

Robert

There was a time (decades ago) when Wells was a very good bank, but in the 90's, they anounced that they were going to become a high tech bank where customers would do their banking electronically. Problem was, nobody really knew how to do that yet, but no matter, they forged ahead by closing branches first and basically imploded. I gave up on them years ago.

Wells Fargo is one of the financial institutions that is always riding the razor blade edge of the law pushing it as far as they possibly can.

I get paid biweekly so I pay my WF mortgage biweekly. WF holds the extra payment until the end of the year then applies it against my principal so that can stiff me for the extra interest. Someday WF will be in court trying to defend this practice against a class action suite and a bunch of lawyers will collect a fortune.

I reccomend seriously considering banking with credit unions!

I talked to a friend who was a federal bank regulator until last year. He confirms that Wells has "crappy" IT in place. He says B of A is much better in that respect. "Now they have their **** together."
Robert

Back