[Mill] Fray All Angle

DSCN0857.jpg

I ended up having to mount the head so the quill handle is between the head and the upper "X" axis. It's a real PITA when drilling. So I plan to make two modifications. I'll remove the round upper arm then machine a piece of cast iron to go into the hole and have a surface on which to mount the head so it faces me, like normal orientation on a BP. The addition of a 6" digital caliper as a Z axis DRO will also be part of the mod.

It does not have a backgear so I plan to also add a third pulley to double the available spindle speeds keeping the upper RPM as is and adding lower RPMs.

At this stage I was using the mill to finish up an adapter plate to mount a single phase motor on the X axis feed unit.

BTW, the head was made by B'port and the feed is a 1950's era BP unit.

DSCN0857.jpg

DSCN0857.jpg

DSCN0857.jpg

DSCN0857.jpg

DSCN0857.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My small Diamond B-12 horizontal mill came with a Fray "Type B" head grafted on to the over arm. I have the Fray supplied crazy motor with the reverse switch built into the top, plus a second mounting adapter for a larger over arm.

100_7624.JPG 100_7626.JPG 100_7743.JPG

I just picked up a Fray All Angle. I is in ok shape. I have it mostly broken down, replacing bearings and cleaning out years of grease. Can anyone tell me how the ram on top oils the lead screw? All the pictures I am able to find show what looks like an oiler on top, but the ram moves and the lead screw nut does not. I'm not having any luck finding any type of schematic for oiling the top lead screw on the top Y axis.

Back