Fray Mill power tapping?

MAKEITOUTOFWOOD

Registered
Registered
I have a Fray #7 with the type c head.

The quill does not seem to be able to be pulled down. So power tapping may not be an option. There is a hand lever for course movement and a hand wheel for fine. A cam engages one of the 2. On my drill press I can grip the quill and pull it down. On the mill no go. Not sure how its all geared. Not being able to power tap on my one and only mill is making me sad.

I know this is a long shot but does anyone have any experience with this mill?

You're saying the quill is stuck? You should be able to free it by soaking with penetrating oil and working it carefully. It may take a while to free it if it has been stuck a while- be patient
I've seen pictures of Fray mills, they look well made. Not many around.
mark

You're saying the quill is stuck? You should be able to free it by soaking with penetrating oil and working it carefully. It may take a while to free it if it has been stuck a while- be patient
I've seen pictures of Fray mills, they look well made. Not many around.
mark

No the quill moves freely with both the lever and the fine wheel. What I am saying is. When you try and power tap and you move the quill down so the tap can in gauge with the work. It will not pull the quill down allowing for tapping. It will just break the tap because the quill will not move down with the tap.

Fabricate a sleeved holder for the tap which will allow it to follow the threads, sprung so it will retract under reverse. Square shank inside a square tube, for instance.

I have a Fray mill, but do not know the number, it has the downfeed selector knob for fine feed and lever feed also and has no trouble in following down; could you attach a picture of yours?

Yeah something like a die holder for the tailstock on lathe but for a tap.

Looking at the patent pictures posted below on the page, I see that the #7 has the same head as my (not #7), so the quill should easily move down with the hand (lever) feed engaged and the lock disengaged.

If all else fails you could just add a little down pressure and follow it down.

Benny they offered different head options. Mine is a type c uses #7 b&s taper tooling.

Back