Fray Mill power tapping?

I should imagine that the manufacturer made some provision for disconnecting the quill gearbox in order to facilitate setup much like the worm may be disengaged on a rotary table so that it may be freely rotated.

This feature is not always obvious.

I strongly agree .

Give your quill a WD-40 bath. Work it until it will fall freely. Always use down and up pressure when tapping.

I am not familiar with the head that is pictured, but mine has a knob in the center of the handlever that pushed in or pulled out, selects the fine feed or lever.

And once it is in lever, is it free to move with the lever? That's normal.

It moves just fine with the lever and the fine feed. It engages with a cam. Never seems to be free no matter what position the cam is in. I have been all through this machine. Soaking with wd40 has been done. No matter how much pressure I put on the quill I can't get it to budge without using the lever or fine feed.

If your mill is working as should. You could always get a tapping head.

thanks for the suggestion. It would be impossible to find one with the B&S #7 taper. I could make the taper. This option using a taping head takes up a lot of z.

Nice machine, I would like one of those, looks versatile
M

I joined the yahoo Fray mill group. This diagram of the head on my machine was on there. You can see that it is not you typical rack and pinion. The gear is captured. So no power taping.Bummer 8847B360-D46D-4EEB-BA9A-E8EBC85A88A4.jpeg

I joined the yahoo Fray mill group. This diagram of the head on my machine was on there. You can see that it is not you typical rack and pinion. The gear is captured. So no power taping.Bummer View attachment 284518

Not if you find the right thread pitch! But seriously, it wouldn't be very hard to make a floating tapping head for your mill. Thst mill is way cool! Good luck!

Back