FREE BENTONITE FOR GREENSAND- NORFOLK, VA

silverforgestudio

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Cleaning out some things- stumbled across 14 bags of Bentonite!

Each bag is 50 pounds (enough for about 450-500 pounds of "proper" greensand @ 9:1 mix)

If you have ever wanted to play or try you hand- come and get it.

Only caveats:
1. I do not ship
2. Two bag limit per person
3. Bring buckets or bags (these sacks are crispy old)
4. I work odd hours so be patient- Ill get back to you within a day

Bentonite001.jpg Bentonite002.jpg

Bummer we are at opposite sides of the state.

I have an old highschool friend that does casting, lives off Shoulders Hill Rd coincidentally. Is it okay if I tell him even though he's not on this forum?

OK I give up what is 'greensand' used for?

Green sand is used for the mold material in casting metal. The bentonite plus a little water is what holds the sand together and gives the sand enough strength to form the mold. Very nice gesture Silverforgestudio.

Thanks for the explanation. Learn something everyday.
Some cat litter is pure Bentonite clay that is dried into small grains. If anyone is caught short of Bentonite then a bag of cat litter might do the trick.

Last edited:
Many are the loads of that stuff I hauled out of Colony, WYO back in the 80's.
Otherwise known as "bird freight" cause the rate was cheep cheep cheep!!
Free, Huh?
That's about what they wanted it hauled for back then and probably now as well!

OK I give up what is 'greensand' used for?
Hey Toz- Nutfarmer has already summed it up- Its one of the best mediums to learn casting in because of:
1- Low cost (versus Petrobond, Silicate Sands, Resin bonding, investment casting, shell casts)
2- You can use it for everything in the shop from Aluminum to Brasses/Bronzes to Cast iron and Zamaks
3- Its literally just sand, clay, water- not hard to adapt to (too wet- let it dry... too dry- wet it)

Green sand is used for the mold material in casting metal. The bentonite plus a little water is what holds the sand together and gives the sand enough strength to form the mold. Very nice gesture Silverforgestudio.
Thanks NutFarmer- Ive been given a bunch of stuff over my journey- Both to help me start and to help me learn... besides it's not going to be used at my place- And I cant stand tossing stuff out!

Thanks for the explanation. Learn something everyday.
Some cat litter is pure Bentonite clay that is dried into small grains. If anyone is caught short of Bentonite then a bag of cat litter might do the trick.
Right on Toz- And a lot of folks use it as well- but this is a great opportunity to use the real stuff and eliminate a variable from the equation of entry-level.

Back