FREE Date Lookup for Members in Serial Number Reference Book!

Tony, yes I've seen one before...Gould & Eberhardt, good shapers, heavy & solid inexpensive way to remove a lot of metal in short time.
Gould & Eberhardt Gear Machinery Corp. Sutton Road, Webster MA. 01570
Got a listing for hobbers back to 1920

Last edited by a moderator:
Cabro32, yep, it looks a lot like yours. Very similar construction. Mine is a 32", so it's probably just a little longer front to back, and a little heavier. I also got the vise with it, but sad story there. I loaned it to the day job shop I took a temp job with to reduce some vibration on a VMC job we were running. It just clamped onto the part and floated on the table just to add mass. After the job, it was set aside and before I could get it back to my shop, the owner's brother hauled it off as scrap. Since I didn't need it at the time, I didn't even realize it was gone until way too late to try and recover it. Now I don't have the original shaper vise. :( I have another heavy vise for a mill, but it still gripes me.

If you have scans of your literature, I'd be grateful for a copy.

Amigo, this was the only G & E shaper I've seen. I learned, like probably everyone else, on a Cincinnati. I like the way it runs, and the swivel table makes odd angle cuts simple for larger pieces. If you think you have the date information, I'll dig up the SN. Thanks!

Dave:
South Bend Lathe, Inc. 400 West Sample Street, South Bend, IN 46625
Model/Size: 9" A, B, & C Production began in 1947 with 1-N
1950.....20000N, 1954.....35975N, 1955.....38025N, 1956.....40100N, 1957.....42200N, 1958.....43650N, 1959.....45175, 1960.....46560, 1961.....48000N, 1962.....49660N
These numbers continue for the 9" into 1969 when they were discontinued.
Your Model CL344ZD, (C) the initial determinate in book listing. What the remaining letters & digits signified is not given
Ser. Num: 46864N indicates built in the year 1960. The significance of KR9 is not given.
It would very interesting to know for sure what the suffixes were supposed to tell or indicate but that info is absent in this edition.

Amigo, I have a SBL Sr# 161071. Is that in the book?

Patrick, is it possible the last digit (1) in the ser.# is actually a letter (T) suffix which would indicate a 13" swing SBL built in 1979?
Suffix (R) which stands for "Regular" which shows it as 10" Regular built in 1966. A suffix (K) indicates a 10K A, B, or C built in 1971.

Steve, Springfield was a trade name used by Cone-Blanchard Machine Co. (P.O. Box 27) Windsor, VT 05089. The Co. began mfg. in 1920 and primarily built vertical spindle grinders. They also built Multiple Spindle Bar & Chucking machines under the trade name "Conomatic" and the better known Vertical Spindle Rotating table "Blanchard" Surface Grinders. Where I worked, we had one I used quite a bit, with a 6 foot dia. electro-mag table.
Sorry, no lathes per se. are listed.
Looking further, I see where some equipment built under the Springfield name be began using the first two digits of the ser.# to indicate year built starting in 1943. Ex. 43xxx

I don't think so.

SBL serial.JPG

Amigo, I can't locate the SN on my shaper. The only tags currently on the machine are USN asset tags. So, thanks for the offer on that one. And, it's not a 32" after all. It's a 24". Good thing I haven't quoted a big job for it lately.

On the Monarch, the SN is7749 Model is 16-W Actual swing is 18.5 X 54

Whenever you get a chance, no rush :)

Tony, the book doesn't show a listing for a Monarch 16-W nor does it list Monarchs by size/capacity. However, under the heading of "Turning" I do find a list of (4) digit serial #'s where 7500 begins in 1940. 1941 numbering begins with #11029.
The 1940 date is the only one listing for all of the Monarch section that has a serial number in the 7xxx range.

No listing for EE's either.....Grrrrr, I'm very sorry and disappointed. Back in 84 when I bought this book it was quite expensive.

I have a Sheldon Lathe - Catalog # TE-1236-P, Serial # TME-19609

I think it was made in the mid 50's but have never been able to pin it down exactly. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Corm

Back