[4]

Free Imperial G Code estimator?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

awaqa909

Registered
I'm looking for a program to essentially simulate gcode and give me a run time. I found NC Corrector, but it doesn't seem to support the Imperial measuring system (Inch). I have also found a couple different web based editors/simulators but they didn't work out. I have a hobby license for Fusion 360, but have 0 idea how to use the program and I tried to lookup if it supported it. (Doesn't look like it does) I need something free or cheap.

Thanks,
Awaqa909

P. Waller

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
If you require software that will give cycle times for each operation I suspect that you are quoting work.
If you are quoting work you do this for a living.
If indeed this is industrial work why are you asking such questions on a hobby forum?

If you are not capable of converting simple linear dimensions between inches and millimeters you are already at a disadvantage.

awaqa909

Registered
If you require software that will give cycle times for each operation I suspect that you are quoting work.
If indeed this is industrial work why are you asking such questions on a hobby forum?

If you are not capable of converting simple linear dimensions between inches and millimeters you are already at a disadvantage.
I work in a smallish (13~ machine) CNC shop. I'm not really a apprentice, but have room to work up. (Seems like it anyways, not sure how far) I've been wanting/trying to get myself to a higher position for quite a long time. I've recently been looking into computer programs as well as trying to read machine manuals and learn them. (Can only do so much) I really want to learn this one machine that no one really knows how to operate, but I want to learn G code too, which is what I was using the NC Corrector.

I was also trying to figure out how much time was being wasted with the way the machine was programmed to drill. I wrote some G code in a .nc file and opened it up with NC Corrector and found it was in metric. It makes it harder to learn when the program has to be converted to a unfamiliar measurement system, when what I'm already doing is unfamiliar.

I was thinking a CNC forum would be all about CAD/CAM. (not sure if I really looked at them that much, it was a while ago) I don't really have a reason... I've been getting good help here.

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
I tried to build an estimator into my software at one time, but it proved fruitless. Too many variables in the real world. I don't try to optimize the G code of one off parts, but when running production I just look at the way the machine is running and manually make corrections to the G code. If the depending on how the CAM program generates the tool path it could be that you could save some time there on a drill cycle. Retract height can make a big difference as can the rapids between holes. But there are a lot of variables that you have to concider.

If you want, attach your G code file to a post (use a .txt extension, the forum software does not like .NC extensions), I'll take a look at the G code and run it in my simulator to see what it does. If it's compatible, I'll run it on my machine.

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member

We try to help everyone here, and we have plenty of experienced hands on this forum.

[6]
[5] [7]