Free Stuff (etc) from Starrett

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Dave,

Great ideas! I LOVE free stuff...(who doesn't?). I am definitely going to register! If I ever get to Althol, I will definitely check out their factory. Old factories are disappearing! Hershey is going to rebuild their factory in Hershey!

It does my heart good to hear you enjoy it here. That was why I put this site up. I want everyone to feel welcome, interact, learn a few things. I want to learn enough to be able to do my own parts myself, so this is a great resource for me as well. That is how the Southbend Heavy 10 site on Yahoo started, from my desire to catalog a lot of information that I would one day be able to access and use to fix up my 10L. Being a bit anal, I had to grab every piece of information I could get my hands on, and I am kinda doing the same thing here- finding interesting and useful stuff and linking to it on this site, as well as downloading catalogs, manuals, and brochures. I love videos, as you can tell, so I hook up to YouTube videos that I hope will be helpful.

Anyway, enough rambling from me, I promised to stay out of the way!

Best,

Nelson

Dave, i tried clicking onto the link, but i keep getting a noitfication that it is "Unable to load Session". Can I go to the starrett website and get to the place I need to be?

Unfortunately it would seem that one has to call them if outside of the US. >:(

I don't know if they've restarted the monthly sales, but Starrett had closed their discount store sometime last fall. Seems some evilBayers would go in, buy up a *^%$load of something (I saw one guy buy 1,400 6" rulers), then turn around and sell them as new on evilBay. Remember, these are factory seconds. Starrett eventually got tired of having to deal with irate callers complaining about the poor quality control, so rather than limit the number of items you can buy, they just shut it down. Too bad as there were some unbelievable deals to be had there. Starrett's idea of factory second meant fully functional and accurate, but with poor finish - like bubbled paint or some such.

I have to agree that the factory tour is worth doing, if only to see the massive surface grinder they have. You could clamp a full size railroad boxcar on the table with room to spare! They claim it's the largest one in the world and I have to believe it. It was built in England before WW2 and shipped over. One of the old timers there told me a second one was built but during the voyage across the pond the ship hit a massive storm - apparently it rolled over and the grinder ripped free and went through the side of the hull, taking both itself and the ship to the bottom. That story may or may not be true, but it is a good story!

Brian
Taxachusetts

Brian,

Sounds like their factory seconds are a pretty good deal. Now that their store closed, I wonder how they are disposing of these.

By the way Brian, not to hijack the thread, but didn't you have a Van Norman milling machine?

Best,

Nelson

Norman,

Yes, I have a 2RQ. Massive beast at 4,100# +. I've taken a 6" wide by 1/4" deep cut in one pass out of 1018 with NO chatter.

Yeah, everyone except the a-holes miss the Starrett store (actually, considering they were making money, they probably miss it more). How about a 24" micrometer, with a standard and certification for $300? 10' straightedges, etc. A really good deal were the recip saw blades - a CASE of 250 for $50!!!!! All because the yellow paint was blotchy or some such nonsense.

Brian

Back