• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE SUPPORT OUR FORUM - UPGRADE YOUR ACCOUNT HERE!
[4]

Freehand curves

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

francist

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
I've been fooling around on another little project recently which in itself is of little consequence. But part of my design has a couple pieces that have some curves on them. I considered the usual ways I could made them, then figured I'd try free-handing them on the shaper.

It can be a bit daunting at first, but once you get into the rhythm it's a lot of fun. I left some surplus for file finishing but realistically could have ground a shallower cutter and got the shape a lot closer. For now though, it worked pretty good.

Thanks for looking.

-frank

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

ghostdncr

Seems to have worked out quite well for you. I take it that's a paper template attached to the part in your last photo?

francist

Active User
Yes it's paper. Sometimes it's easier than doing the layout on the metal -- it's a method I picked up from cutting metal letters and logos for building signs years ago. I just use rubber cement to hold the template, comes off easy afterwards. In this part, the dimensions are not super critical.

-frank

talvare

Ted A
Very interesting project Frank. So did you cut the arc by rotating the head/clapper box assembly ? Is the radius of the arc just determined by the amount of tool extension ?

Ted

francist

Active User
No rotation of the tool slide or tool at all other than just to get it positioned at a reasonable attack angle. I just put the ram in motion, used my left hand to work the table feed and my right hand to advance the tool slide down. A lot like an etch-a-sketch, really.

-frank

talvare

Ted A
No rotation of the tool slide or tool at all other than just to get it positioned at a reasonable attack angle. I just put the ram in motion, used my left hand to work the table feed and my right hand to advance the tool slide down. A lot like an etch-a-sketch, really.-frank
Very nice. I was way over-thinking it !

Ted

[6]
[5] [7]