[Mill] Fritz Werner No 5.160WS looking for information

dcsims

Registered
Registered
I have a new mill that just acquired which is 70 years old. A Fritz Werner No 5.160WS that I would like to see if any of the members have any information on. She has maintained her shape very well for her age. I wish I had done the same.

It is a universal mill that has vertical and horizontal spindles and was made in Germany.

IMG_3393.jpg

Welcome, that is a nice looking mill , sorry I don’t know much about those , someone will be along that can help.

I knew this was somewhat of a rare mill when I posted it but hoped someone would know something about the mill. This one began its life at the Redstone Arsenal in Alabama somewhere around 1940's then spent some time at Auburn University before being bought by a friend some 20 years ago who then passed it along to me recently.

Everything I have read about Redstone Arsenal says it was originally a chemical weapons manufacturing facility for World Was II, in the immediate post-war era it became home to the German rocket scientists that were brought to the US as part of Operation Paperclip. The team first worked on ballistic missiles, starting with V-2 rocket derivatives before moving on to a series of ever larger designs.

If only this mill could talk the stories it could tell. I can only imagine the parts it has made during its life. Everything is very tight on the mill and appears to have been well cared for. I believe it will live on for another hundred years or so.

Dennis

IMG_3386.jpg

You might look around (search) the PM forum under the Deckel specific part of the forum, I sort remember that there was some Fritz Werner talk back in time.

Oh that is nice. Can we get some more pictures please?

Posting a few more pictures as requested by "middle.road".

The vertical spindle has a 5 position production stop that is adjustable by stop screws.IMG_3403.JPG
Speed and Feed is regulated with change gears.IMG_3406.JPGIMG_3407.JPG

The X axis has power feed that also has rapid traverse by pushing the handles to gather and turning.

IMG_3404.JPG
X Axis power feed.

IMG_3408.JPG
Over all a nice little mill that was well designed for the time it was manufactured.

Back