Full Profile Comp

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
H-M Supporter Gold Member
First attempt at this. Bought enough 4140 to make about 3 of these. :)

Threading almost done. And first 'oops'. Threading to a shoulder instead of milling out the first chamber to eliminate the shoulder. 'Duh'. And I didn't thread deep enough. Easy enough to fix.
IMG_0736.jpg

First mock-up
IMG_0737.jpg

Lots still to do...

Keep us posted! My son in law wants me to make one for him and this will be a big help for me. Thanks!

Nice. Where do you get your slides and frames.?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Very cool wrmiller!

What sort of clearance are you leaving between the slide and compensator?

Nice. Where do you get your slides and frames.?
Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

This one is a gunsmith's kit (frame and slide already fitted) from Brownells.

Very cool wrmiller!
What sort of clearance are you leaving between the slide and compensator?

As close to zero as I can get. I don't like seeing any gap/light between the slide and comp. When I had access to a surface grinder I could get them to the point where the line between the two would virtually disappear when the pistol went into battery. But I will get it as close as I can, without it being an interference fit, with what I have. Probably have to hand work the last little bit because of the angles. What's that blue stuff the hand scrapers use? I could try that for the final fitment as Dykem dries too fast.

I'm already on my second piece because I started putting 3/8" ports in the first comp and realized that they are larger than I want. I will go to 1/4" ports with a 0.1" septum between to keep the pressure up as the bullet traverses all of the ports (3 or 4, probably 4). I have some 1/4" ball end mills coming later this week.

I hate this part because in milling a 1/4" wide by 1" deep port I have trouble getting the chips out of the way of the cutter. Patience... :)

Last edited:
The blue stuff is called Prussian or High Spot blue. Permatex makes it, and you might be able to find it at an auto parts store for its use in hand valve lapping/grinding.

In my experience oil paint also works well.

Received the 1/4" ball end mills last week and got to spend a bit of time in the shop. I managed to get one of the harder parts (for me anyway) done.

Did I mention that I don't like milling slots 4 times deeper than their width? (yea I'm whining a bit...) :rolleyes:
IMG_0739.jpg

But I managed to get this part done without breaking anything!
IMG_0740.jpg

Nice project Bill! Nice to see the new toy is being put to good use.

I have always loved the way a profiled comp looks on a 1911. I'll be watching for sure. Looks like you're using the "Unique" slide. (I believe that's the correct name for it.) Will you be cutting the 'scallops' in the comp to mimic the classic slide lines?

A good friend has a Les Baer Monolith which uses the same slide profile. I didn't think I would like it, but it's growing on me.

Back