[How do I?] Full Resto/rebuild Of A Leblond No.2 Cutter Grinder

Matthew Nelson

Registered
Registered
I've just started a new project (famous last words...). I was able to get a LeBlond No. 2 Cutter Grinder for a VERY good price. I'll give you the good-news/ bad-news:

Good-News:
- Very little rust
- Everything moves smoothly and easily
- Almost no run-out, and very little play in the Y and Z axis
Bad-News:
- 3-4 layers of paint on most of the machine (and it was painted as a whole piece)
- Because of the excess paint, I'm having a hard time disassembling everything
- The X axis got stuck after I started removing parts

I have a few questions for the community:
- Have any of you restored one of these? I can't find much info about them on the web.
- I've never liked "Tool Room Grey" and since I'm not planning selling this guy when I'm done, I'm thinking about doing it in navy blue (with white accents for the lettering and some of the other bits). I'm planning on using engine enamel from a spray paint can. What brands have y'all tried? Is there a great one to use, and others to avoid?
- It didn't come with any accessories. It there a good place (other than eBay) to find the various attachment for this machine?

Thanks,

-Matt

Leblond Cutter Grinder Main View.jpg

Nice. Inquiring minds want to know. How much is very little. Mike

My 2 cents from the refurbishing of my South Bend 9a. Use a brush on oil based enamel. Use a good brush. Multiple coats. I used regular Rustoleum. But I would have looked for one of the commercial or professional lines had I not been restricted by VOC laws in CA (faster curing). If you use a good brush, and take care in masking, it should be a harder thicker coating than anything from a spray can. If I were to spray, I'd be using a real spray gun. Brushed finishes can turn out quite nice if done right with oil based.

Good luck, and look forward to a build log if you have it in you. I want a nice T&C to restore myself.

Back