[How do I?] Full Resto/rebuild Of A Leblond No.2 Cutter Grinder

Many years ago, I had a Leblond similar to those pictured, but driven from overhead works, approx. WW-1 vintage; It was the handiest T&C grinder that I have ever had so far as setup and ease of operation are concerned; the wheelhead stayed stationary and the knee swiveled 360 deg. so that both wheels could be used in any angular position. The worst machine considering easy setup and use was a KO Lee.

.....snip..... The worst machine considering easy setup and use was a KO Lee.

REALLY!!! I love my K. O. Lee T & C grinder. I have zero issues with setups and have ground & sharpen a lot of different tools on it since I bought it about four years ago. In fact, I prefer it over a No. 2 Cincinnati one any day. Yeah, I realize it is not heavy duty as a Cinci, I don't do anything that requires one.

Perhaps it matters which model you have, mine was the smallest one; it seemed like every time I set up a job, I ran out of travel room. Only good thing about it was that it was free, and came with nearly all the tooling. As it turned out I got a good appraisal on it and sold it along with my business and took home a 1940s #1 Norton which I like much better; it came out of government storage and was in excellent condition, with a full complement of tooling. When I sold the business, I was extolling the virtues of the KO Lee, about how good condition it was, having only been used in a state college shop, how it had so much tooling, etc. He said, when I finished going on about it, "now tell what you REALLY think about it; I replied "I think it is a piece of s--t" He just gave me a big smile; HE KNEW!

I am in the process of doing the same to a Cincinnati No 1 1/2 grinder, circa 1920. Lots of paint, several layers.
I suspect on mine that it is lead based so am using a good mask while chewing the stuff off with a wire cup wheel on an angle grinder.

Rustoleum brushed works great, I am not bothering with smoothing the castings out after stripping.

The overall concept/layout of your machine and mine is similar. I will be starting a thread in a few days.

My cost so far is $100 CAD plus a pint of paint.

These seem like very versatile machines, the only thing I have not seen listed is drill grinding, it does everything else including circular saw blades.

I have a #2 Cincinnati from the 1940s (war finish) it has been in the weather, not sure if it is rebuildable, thinking of junking it, but have nearly all the tooling for it to sell.

Back