Fun Floating Drill Press Vise

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
I watched Mr. Pete's series on this very handy tool he made.
I'm going to get this one done pretty quick. I need it.
I used the 7X12 Jet horizontal band saw in the vertical position for the first time to cut the approx. 13 degree bevel for the jaws.
I am going to use 9/16" 18 tpi instead of 1/2" ready rod. My version is a bit longer than his.
The 1/2" low carbon rod and the ready rod and tap should be in today from McMaster. I should make good progress this weekend. It's suppose to be a stormy weekend.
I have a heated shop.
Can you think of a better weekend?

Attachments

• IMG_3924 (2).jpg
    IMG_3924 (2).jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3925 (2).jpg
    IMG_3925 (2).jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3927 (2).jpg
    IMG_3927 (2).jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3928 (2).jpg
    IMG_3928 (2).jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3929 (2).jpg
    IMG_3929 (2).jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 43
Thats a pretty niffty looking Vise. I sure could use something like that for my drill press!
With all the different types and styles as well as the different names and categories for a vise I do however have 2 questions about the style you made......You call yours a "Floating" vise, what does that mean? And what about this type of vise is considered the "Floating" part?
Thanks

The whole vise floats on the table and the long rod that aligns the two jaws "not shown in the pictures"is to be put against the vertical column of drill press to counter the vice and part from being thrown across the room when the drill bites into the part.:)

This is a different style but it pivots inwards/outwards and swings to where you need it. Then you lock it down at the corner hold down for the drilling/tapping operation.
The beauty of these is that they are so quick and easy. In the High Schools they would be considered a safety vise.
1575671200935.png1575671272485.png

They are copies of this one:

which are highly regarded by many. They are also quite pricey. I have never seen one in person, but they are highly touted.

Just for grins and giggles I checked them out on Ebay. The original 1950's AMF auction "Buy Now" price was $195 if I recall.
The ad I saw on Mr. Pete's video showed the hand crank version for $9.95. In 1955 that was pricey no?
He said the High School had the slip fit style. = More money.

Was at a yard sale one time, didn't realize what they were called but a bench top drill press had one on it. Bought the press and vice for I think $50. They're incredibly handy.
IMG_0706.jpg

You got the good one. Much quicker to clamp the part.
I don't know why I decided to go with the 9/16 fine thread. I'll be cranking til Sunday :)

Just for grins and giggles I checked them out on Ebay. The original 1950's AMF auction "Buy Now" price was $195 if I recall.
The ad I saw on Mr. Pete's video showed the hand crank version for $9.95. In 1955 that was pricey no?
He said the High School had the slip fit style. = More money.

You could get $100 worth of stuff in 1955 with $10..... lol
1955.JPG

This one doesn't have the fast movement, the thread is pretty fine on this one too.

Greg

Back