Fun With Cast Iron, A Grinding Wheel Retainer

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
I have a horizontal rotary surface grinder that is used to flatten and sharpen many different items at the shop.
I have a few different wheels that get used for different materials.
I found a good deal on some wheels i haven't used in awhile.
The problem is that the drive arbor hole is smaller than the OEM wheel retainer.
So, i decided to construct a custom new wheel retainer from cast iron

i have a slug of 5" Cast Iron and decided that would be the best material
(also i didn't have anything suitable other than delrin in the size range :grin:)

I mounted it in the Vintage Jet 370 Power Hacksaw
IMG_2618.jpg

the problem was that the slug was not very long, about 6".
so i had to improvise a restraint system to cut the dang cast iron on the power hacksaw

here is the questionable set up that i went with,

i drilled and tapped the jaws to accept M6x 1.0 hex socket fasteners and a strap od 1-1/4" mild steel.
against the moveable jaw and work i used a v block.
i improvised a jack and spacer combination to keep the jaws relatively parallel, for best clamping

IMG_2621.jpg IMG_2619.jpg

the idea is that the metal strap under compression would hold the cast iron down.
it worked reasonably well!

IMG_2617.jpg

it took about 45 minutes of sawing to cut through, but it worked!

in the next episode,
i'll be moving over to the lathe and doing some turning
thanks for looking!

I think that I would have parted it off in the lathe; maybe a new hacksaw blade might be in order?

Hi John,
the lathes i have working were just a bit too small to grasp the slug on the OD. i would have loved to chuck it up!
i put a 6 tpi hacksaw blade on, the cast iron had a hard surface but cut nice in the center

Interesting setup, necessity is the mother of invention.
Im always cutting pieces to short to hold in the horizontal bandsaw vice, I mounted a 4 inch machinist vice to a piece of plate that I can grab in the saw vice. It can be slid over tight to the blade. Wouldn't grab that big a piece though.

Greg

Interesting setup, necessity is the mother of invention.
Im always cutting pieces to short to hold in the horizontal bandsaw vice, I mounted a 4 inch machinist vice to a piece of plate that I can grab in the saw vice. It can be slid over tight to the blade. Wouldn't grab that big a piece though.
Greg
Hi Greg,
thanks, i though of different ways to try and hold the slug for about 15 minutes before i went with this Pan "B" :grin big:
i have used c clamps and angle iron, strap, blocks of wood, all kinds of stuff to take up clearance or otherwise hold stuff .
sometimes it ain't pretty or even mechanically sound, but it somehow works!
so i don't recommend doing what i do- unless you are nuts like me :black eye: :grin: :eagerness:

Where is the super glue, bubble gum and bailing wire? But seriously UD, keep up the Yankee Ingenuity, I love it!….Dave.

Where is the super glue, bubble gum and bailing wire? But seriously UD, keep up the Yankee Ingenuity, I love it!….Dave.
Hi Dave,
you haven't seen act 2 yet! LOL :grin big:
thanks ,
i'll keep finding ways of getting around problems, one by one :grin:

Hi John,
the lathes i have working were just a bit too small to grasp the slug on the OD. i would have loved to chuck it up!
i put a 6 tpi hacksaw blade on, the cast iron had a hard surface but cut nice in the center
Was it continuous cast? It does tend to have a harder outer layer.

Good set up! At times on short steel parts I have resorted to welding on a "handle" so I can slice off a chunk.

Back