Fun With Wood, Reclaimed 2x4 projects

It's amazing how much lumber gets wasted. My company was next door to a new Hitachi office, they uncrated some machines and threw several large 2x4s in the dumpster- It's holding up my workbenches now. Even the Japanese are wasteful sometimes.
Mark
Hi Mark, thanks for looking.
i agree it's a shame how many things end up in landfills because of our society has a throw it away mentality. :confusion:
maybe we can't recycle everything, but we should make the attempt for what we can save.

Mike, you're having entirely too much fun with the woodworking projects. I fear that you are being pulled over to the dark side!:eek 2:
BTW nice work!
Thank you very much RJ.
i'm tempted by the dark side, but my true love is metal :grin:
Mike
Your going to be a master carpenter yet.
thank you, you are waay too kind
i think i have a long bumpy road ahead to call myself a master or anything :grin big:

Doc, just an idea if you have a few slats left over. Adding some strips like these to the bottom of your contractor saw will make it easier to install/remove from the Workmate. The jaws of the Workmate when fully open will hold tight in the wood strips, no need for clamps.
The saw is still stable when used on other surfaces.

IMG_0344.JPG

IMG_0345.JPG

Last edited:
Doc, just an idea if you have a few slats left over. Adding some strips like these to the bottom of your contractor saw will make it easier to install/remove from the Shopmate. The jaws of the Shopmate when fully open will hold tight in the wood strips, no need for clamps.
The saw is still stable when used on other surfaces.
that's one hellva idea, i'll be stealing the idea very soon, thanks :grin:

I gotta get back to wood working...
Great that you're able to score the materials and then actually do something with them.
I've got the garden/mower shed crammed to the rafters and then under the back porch is chocked full...

i was back at it again today in the shop, i still have a few of the 2x4's left, but the pile is dwindling :grin:

i wanted a shop stool.
i decided to make a shop stool.
i literally spent tens of minutes in planning, conceptualizing, and recording the idea.
this fact is supported by the stick figure drawing below:

shop chair08112019.jpg

as indicated,
i made a cut list and gathered materials.
in the material heap, i found a construction fir 2'x2'x8' .
2- @ 42" lengths became the rear legs
i ripped and cross cut 2x4's down for the rest of the base piects
4- @ 18" lengths, those became the rungs and seat support
7- @ 13" lengths, those became the seat supports, rungs, and back support
i modified the design after realizing 17" was a bit wide for a stool and 22" was too deep of a chair
i settled for 15-1/2" and 21 respectively and went on

one note:
i'm not a woodworker, i generally destroy wood in the process of creating things.
but one product makes making 90° corners a breeze, the Kreg R3 pocket Hole Jig
1565567432774.png

i used it and i can't believe how well and how simple it was to make strong intersections.

i used the pocket jig on 4 of the members,
the rest were done using conventional deck screws without drilling pocket holes, only predrilled to prevent splitting

i had a few pieces of truck bed deck oak from a repair depot near my work, that i whacked up and made a seat top
i screwed the oak down and sanded her with the 4-1/2" disc sander and 80 grit disc
then went over it with 150 grit on a random orbit sander, to take the splinters
i spared no expense i used 2 tablespoons of the best extra virgin olive oil i had and soaked a shop towel
i rubbed it down, wiped it off and sat down for a moment.
then i realized it didn't sit exactly straight, it wobbled slightly.

i use a beer level to ascertain the offending leg.

for the uninitiated,
you must drink one full beer, before you drink a half beer -
to get a beer level, otherwise calibration is compromised ;)

i took the 4-1/2" sander out and rubbed some fir off the bottom of the offending leg and it sits solid now!

without further delay:

THE SHOP CHAIR OF INVINCIBILITY !!!!!

IMG_3528.jpg IMG_3529.jpg

IMG_3530.jpg IMG_3531.jpg

more projects to come from the wood pile,

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!

thanks for reading

Back