Funny Fluted Drill Bit

Simple, its for a reciprocating drill. :):)

There is router bits like that for wood. So both sides of the bit cut each side of the wood inwards, so there is little splintering of the edge. Called a compression bit.

compression-bit.jpg

Really ,never seen or heard of such of a bit like that.
Ron in ohio

I’m going with it’s a shaft from a yankie screwdriver that someone fashioned into prison shank but I have a really active imagination

It's a rubbish drill bit, they used to be sold in supermarkets over here, you could bend them with your bare hands.

There is router bits like that for wood. So both sides of the bit cut each side of the wood inwards, so there is little splintering of the edge. Called a compression bit.

@Superburban Thanks!
I had never seen those up-cut/down-cut router bits before, you taught me something new.

Here's a couple references:
What the heck is a compression router bit?
Compression Spiral and Spiral Solid Carbide Router Bits

Apparently often used for CNC routers in MDF and plywood to reduce splintering and tear-out on BOTH faces.

Although they do not look like the pictures from the start of this thread.......those just look like poorly made drill bits that got jammed and then "rearranged" themselves.....

-brino

Soft steel. I have had cheap drill bits intended for drilling wood unwind in the past. A properly tempered HSS bit will break before it unwinds.

Funny Fluted Drill Bit

Is this a special drill bit or a fluke?

I think it's a Rotazip bit, intended for drilling into sheetrock (gypsum board) and then acts as a rotary file for sideways cuts.
Goes kinda fast, and it's too floppy for more robust materials. Makes good rectangle holes for outlets, though, quickly.

@Superburban Thanks!
I had never seen those up-cut/down-cut router bits before, you taught me something new.

Here's a couple references:
What the heck is a compression router bit?
Compression Spiral and Spiral Solid Carbide Router Bits

Apparently often used for CNC routers in MDF and plywood to reduce splintering and tear-out on BOTH faces.

Although they do not look like the pictures from the start of this thread.......those just look like poorly made drill bits that got jammed and then "rearranged" themselves.....

-brino

Yea, I knew they did not look the same. But on closer look, it is interesting that the original has the flutes change direction twice. The first change has both cutting edges cutting outward, which generally will create more splintering. Also does not look strong enough to cut anything more then Styrofoam, without breaking.

Even if you got it red hot, I think It would take some careful work to get the twisting, without the outer web of the flute cracking.

I wonder if it is one of those things a machinist does when he has spare time, and an inquiring mind. Or even something created by a drill maker, as a novelty.

Last edited:
Back