Further prizes?

From what I gather we all want the same thing:
Folks who contribute answers and encourage learning should be recognized
I wanted to acknowledge those of you who bust your asses to do the work, and spend the time and money.
As Nelson says,how to do it effectively is the question, some sites offer magazine subscriptions ,but gift cards may also be just the right encouragement for some,titles and labels are great but traditionally financial rewards seem to create more fervor and eagerness in my opinion.
Saving the excess money is not a bad option either but if I were to look at the future of this site for the next 3-5 years, maybe spending just some of the money now may attract more members, more new project, new topics in the future.

If I could ":encourage: like" Mikey's post multiple times, I would. I think he hit the nail on the head. IMHO, contests create a competitive environment and that's not what I think H-M is all about. Besides, not everyone has the expertise, resources or time to do POTM worthy projects. However, I do think the POTM is a good thing and the winners do deserve some recognition. I saw a college baseball team this past week that had a hammer that passed from the last player to hit a homer to the next to hit a homer. Maybe, in the same vein, we could not only announce the POTM winner, but also have a special icon, such as crossed golden machinist's hammers for instance, that appears in the winner's avatar until it's transferred to the next winner's avatar. Just a thought.

Tom

Lots of good ideas here. I am looking for addons. I found one that allows us to give out medals, but the medals appear on the profile page instead of the avatar or left side of the posts where I would like them to appear, so I am asking it that is possible.

Back