Fusion 360 CAM Acting Strange

TomS

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
After modeling an aluminum part using Fusion 360 I set up the machining operations using the built in CAM package. It all looked good running in simulation but the final outcome was not right. The machining origin is the top/left corner. As I went through each operation I checked for size and hole placement. Everything was good until the last two operations. You will notice the difference in wall thickness on the pocket outer edges and the counterbores are not lined up with the holes. I double checked my model and it does not reflect these offsets. Checked my machining origin and it was at 0,0. Anyone else have issues with Fusion 360 CAM not generating an accurate tool path?

IMG_0417.JPG

IMG_0414.JPG

IMG_0415.JPG

IMG_0416.JPG

Vs Fusion CAM, could you be loosing Steps in your CNC?

Are you sure your machine zero is not drifting? Maybe a tool offset incorrect? I have seen Fusion do some strange stuff, but have not seen it offset a tool path.

I checked machine zero and work zero and they were the same as when I started. As Jim noted Fusion has done some strange stuff and I've experienced some of this in the past. It could be me causing these weird moves, but I haven't yet found the cause. Scrapping $50 of material is not fun.

I use CamBam as my default CAM program but wanted to get more familiar with Fusion because of it's CAD capabilities and 3D CAM features. I've modeled the part in CamBam and waiting on material to arrive next week. I have full confidence with CamBam toolpaths, not so much with Fusion.

If you have not done so already, I recommend that you analyse the G-Code to see what what exactly is happening. It might be a problem with the Post Processor that you are using or some unexpected result of a CAM setup you used. It should be much easier to troubleshoot if you know exactly what G-Code command was wrong or missing.

Is it the same tool for those operations? For an XY positioning error the only thing I can think of is having more than one work offset in the g-code. F360 CAM is essentially HSMWorks which they bought out several years ago. I use it in Solidworks with no issues like that. Most things get caught in simulation if the tool setup matches the tool used but these are usually Z height errors. The only other thing that comes to mind is having the correct post processor for Mach3.

Is it the same tool for those operations? For an XY positioning error the only thing I can think of is having more than one work offset in the g-code. F360 CAM is essentially HSMWorks which they bought out several years ago. I use it in Solidworks with no issues like that. Most things get caught in simulation if the tool setup matches the tool used but these are usually Z height errors. The only other thing that comes to mind is having the correct post processor for Mach3.

I was running a single part and zeroing each tool as I used them. My gcode files were generated as stand-alone machining operation files and I used the only Mach3 post processor shown in the Fusion drop down window.

The drilled holes are in the proper location. The counterbores and pockets use the same tool but are offset in opposite directions, or thereabouts. I need to check my gcode files as Boswell suggested which I will do tonight. I just got back from checking on our kids in Redding, CA after the Carr Fire blasted through town.

I've attached my hole drilling and counterbore gcode files. The hole drilling file shows the correct X and Y coordinates. Looking through the counterbore gcode it is evident the X and Y coordinates are different. Why? I have no clue. I understand the I and J moves but I don't understand these types of moves.

X3.749 Y-1.8727
X3.7482 Y-1.8732
X3.7477 Y-1.874
X3.7475 Y-1.875
X3.7477 Y-1.8759
X3.7482 Y-1.8768
X3.7491 Y-1.8773
X3.75 Y-1.8775
X3.751 Y-1.8773
X3.7518 Y-1.8767
X3.7523 Y-1.8759
X3.7525 Y-1.875
X3.7523 Y-1.874
X3.7518 Y-1.8732
X3.751 Y-1.8727
X3.75 Y-1.8725

Attachments

• Moveable Jaw - Counterbores.txt
    3.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Moveable Jaw - Hold Down Bolt Drilling.txt
    410 bytes · Views: 2
Wow that is really odd. Send me your part file and I can see what it does on my system in F360 & Solidworks.

I combined the two files and ran it through gwizard editor and that looks worse which is even more confusing.

Hole and Counterbore.png

Wow that is really odd. Send me your part file and I can see what it does on my system in F360 & Solidworks.

I combined the two files and ran it through gwizard editor and that looks worse which is even more confusing.

View attachment 273238
Thanks for taking a look. I had to change the file suffix to .txt so I could attach it. Change it to .f3d and it should open.

I gave up on Fusion and modeled the parts in CamBam and generated the code. Parts came out perfect! Another post for another day.

Attachments

• Modular Vise v32.txt
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
Back